11. take my whole life too

can't help falling in love — elvis presley (crazy rich asians soundtrack)

e l l i o t

     THE SOUND OF soft music greeted Elliot when he awoke. He could feel the small bumps as the car drove on the road, and focused on them. Something about the music playing and the feeling of the partially bumpy road calmed him— perhaps it was because he felt free.

The thought made him smile. The next song started to play, and the girl beside him started to sing along almost inaudibly to it. The boy closed his eyes again, focusing on the sound of Gabriella's voice. It was so calming to listen to her sing; her voice was one of an angels. As if the all of the gods and goddesses in the world had created her into perfection.

She was perfection, and the gods had blessed him by letting her into his life.

"So take my hand
Take my whole life too
For I can't help
Falling in love with you."

Her voice was quiet, only a little louder than a whisper, but it was so beautiful. Her voice was so melodic, and the boy was sure that even the angels in the heavens envied her. The sides of his lips turned upward when she finished singing the song.

     The sun had set by the time he had woken up, and billions of bright stars lit up the night sky. The moon was formed into a crescent, magnifying the beauty of it all. He had a blanket draped around his body, and he let out a breathless chuckle at how caring and considerate Gabriella was.

     The boy let out a small yawn, rubbing his eyes. The petite girl glanced at the boy next to her and a smile formed on her face. "Good morning, Eli."

     "Good morning, beautiful," the boy responded, causing the girl's cheeks to turn into a deep rose color. Nevertheless, the smile on her face stayed put, and perhaps even grew a little.

     Elliot's full attention was focused on the girl beside him. He had always loved the nighttime because of the stars, and now his love for it grew even more seeing Gabriella. It seemed like every night, the moonlight always hit her flawlessly. The boy was still sleepy, and he thought he was dreaming for a moment.

     And it scared him to death. That this was all just a beautiful dream that he was going to wake up from, and he'd be back in the plain white room that reeked of bleach. That he'd be back in the world where he was surrounded by nurses and doctors and where everybody was scared of him. Scared of him dying. Scared that they weren't going to find a cure for the boy, and that his death was inevitable.

     So many surgeons and doctors from all across the globe have been searching for a cure for him for as long as he could remember. He honestly doubted that they'd find a cure in less than a month from now, but hope filled the back of his mind, along with many what if's. What if they did find a cure? What if he could grow old with Gabriella?

"We're going to the beach tomorrow," Gabriella announced cheerfully. "It'll only take about an hour to get there, but I think we should call it a day for now and have lots of fun tomorrow."

Elliot just nodded in response to her words. "Do you think we should go eat?"

"Nah, I found a hotel that serves breakfast, and I'm really not that hungry," she told him before adding, "unless you're hungry, then we can go eat. I'm sure there are restaurants still open somewhere."