┋0┋A┋3┋

This was not a regular party. It was a get-together with the most powerful people on the planet, talking about politics over silver cups of stupidly expensive Earl Grey tea, chatting about potential world wars casually while snacking on slices of gold-truffle chocolate cake.

And Thunderstorm didn't belong here.

She stood in the corner, her hands hugging her sides, trying to attract the least attention possible. Her eyes fell over the entire ballroom, gold and silver luminous lights draping across the floor. The dress was weird. So was her hair. Everything about this place made her feel like she was a troll in the land of fairies.

Whenever waiters passed by her, their expressions were all one of either shock, disgust, or disbelief. One particular snooty, middle-aged waiter even demanded her to leave, causing quite a scene and a crowd, before another noble reminded him—while trying not to laugh—that she was an honored guest here. The waiter didn't get into any trouble, but instead he was agreed with.

Blaze and Thorn were nowhere to be seen. The last she'd saw of them was when they left inside without her.

She wouldn't want to ruin their day anyway. They were having the night of their lives.

Her fingers tightened around her biceps, her knees weak as the other guests' phantom volume suddenly increased, resonating in her head. She bit her lip, desperately trying to shrink herself down, but the laughter from the nearest group sounded sharp to her ears. It was an invisible knife, stabbing into her already disturbed mind.

Another laughter boomed from another group, and another, then another. The laughter pierced into her soul, rattling her from head to toe. She wanted to run, but the fear kept her in place.

She squeezed her eyes shut, praying for all of this to end. This wasn't where she was supposed to be. She was here to be a protector—not a party guest. Calm down calm down calm down calm down—

A tray bumped into her, forcing her instincts to kick in. Her eyes snapped open, scarlet electricity flaring in her eyes, sparks bouncing from her skin. She spun around and backed away, her wild arm knocking the tray of champagne and red wind over, causing the delicate glasses to shatter and the liquor staining the waiter's spotless polo shirt.

She froze for a moment, before remembering where she was. Blinking in recognition of the situation, her powers died down, but the damage was done. People from all sides were staring at her, whispering and casting accusatory glances at her. Thorn and Blaze were spotted at the back of the crowd, but they didn't even look at her.

Her heart sank, sensing the commotion she'd attracted. To make things worse, the waiter—who she'd barely even touched—abruptly collapsed to the ground, clutching his stomach in phantom pain, screaming in false agony.

"SHE ATTACKED ME! THAT SLUT FUCKING ASSAULTED ME!" he cried, rolling on his sides to emphasize his lie.

Thunderstorm's eyes widened in panic. "I didn't—" But nobody was listening to her. Men and women alike approached the man in attempt to help him, but with every gentle inquiry, his screaming loudened drastically.

Finally, Thorn and Blaze broke through the crowd, but they weren't looking too happy. Thunderstorm never counted on them to help her with her messes, but this time they were here to make it worse.

"Are you serious!?" Blaze demanded, stabbing a blaming finger at her. "Could you go one day without attacking innocent civilians?"

"I didn't even touch him!" Thunderstorm defended herself, throwing her hands out to the faking waiter. "Just look at him! He's acting! Why can't you see that?"