┋1┋B┋1┋

┋1┋B┋1┋As you can see, the chapter list starts counting down! This method has a reason, and here it is:

┋1┋: This is for the arcs Thunderstorm had experienced, something like stages of her life in order for her to slowly learn how to accept herself.

┋B┋: This means the arc she is currently in.

┋1┋: The chapter number.

* * *

Thunderstorm dreamt of her younger self that day.

She was barely old enough to formulate any memories, but there was one particular event that was burned into her mind like a molten molding iron stick.

Ever since she was young, all the allies she'd known were three people: her mentor, Blaze, and Thorn. They grew up together in a modern, concrete house, that was located deep within the mountains and the forests, away from civilization.

She never questioned why or how she got there. All she remembered was the first thing that her mentor said to her-your purpose is to help people. The people of Earth need your help-and began her training to control her emotions and master her abilities.

She was the first to arrive in that house. Every day, she would spend her time with her mentor, following his stern guidance, always acting in line. He was the only person she'd ever known, ever since she was born.

When night came, her mentor would leave her alone in that cold, dark house. They had limited electricity and running water. The nights were the coldest, so the best she could do was curl up in a thin blanket, scrunching herself as small as possible on the stiff, new mattress.

By daybreak, he would return. He'd make her breakfast-with chocolate chip pancakes occasionally, which were her absolute favorite-and would start the daily training.

Thinking back, there wasn't much training to begin with. He meditated with her for hours, taught her how to materialize blades from lightning, and supervised her physical condition when she exercised.

Her mentor wanted her to develop her own style, for her to learn fighting as she battled. They sparred with fake swords, but that was rare. She didn't receive any proper training.

Her lonely life came to an end when she was ten years of age. This day, her mentor was late to return, so she made cereal for herself which had passed their expiry date by a few days. By noon, he returned, along with someone else. He was a boy, with the power over fire.

He was shorter than Thunderstorm, but he was older. His name was Blaze, and he was the only friend she had for a while, but wouldn't consider him family.

They trained together, but her mentor focused on Blaze more than her. He taught him how to fight, how to execute his powers properly, and applied none of the techniques he did for Thunderstorm onto Blaze. When their mentor told Thunderstorm to meditate under the falls, they spent their time sparring with their powers.

She paid no mind. She was going to be strong for herself. She didn't need any help.

Then their mentor brought home their third and final friend. He was taller than the both of them, but ironically, younger. He could control plants, which admittedly, was a disaster when he and Blaze first introduced itself to each other.

Thunderstorm presumed that their mentor would focus on Thorn more, and Blaze would join her in her routine, but it never happened. This time, their mentor neglected her presence completely, always telling her to focus on the training that she'd repeated for many years.

If she said she wasn't hurt by that, it would be a big, fat lie. She felt betrayed, replaced. This was the man that raised her, and the same man that ignored her growth.

Blaze and Thorn felt bad for her, so whenever the nights came and their mentor left, they taught her what they knew. Blaze attempted to teach her how to balance her center of gravity whenever in close combat, and Thorn taught her how to utilize her power throughout her body regularly to enhance her senses.

Fortunately, she was a quick learner. She sneaked peeks when their mentor was training Blaze and Thorn, and picked up whatever battle strategy she was able to analyze. She trained herself, pitting herself against the two of them to confirm her theories.

Despite their rivalry, they were good friends, but not family. She wouldn't go over that boundary yet. They spent their nights warming themselves over the campfire that Blaze created, roasting marshmallows they'd raided from the cupboard over the fire.

She could still remember the sound of their laughter; innocent, genuine, and satisfaction-how their faces were basked in the warm golden glow of the cackling fire, how they threw dry twigs they found from the forest into the blazes in glee, watching the dancing flames burn brighter as they wiggled their stumpy toes beside it.

When it was time to pack up, however, the feeling of emptiness only pursued. Thorn, who was the youngest, would go to sleep first; with Blaze and Thunderstorm tidying up the remains of the fire. She remembered she hated the flameless nights, where she was in her small, cooped up room; while Blaze and Thorn slept in another.

She never understood why she had to sleep in separate rooms. Blaze and Thorn were inquiring the same question. However, when they consulted their mentor, all he said was:

"Boys and girls cannot be together. Boys and girls are very different. You will know when you grow up."

They daren't go against his words, so that was the end of the situation. She also remembered being the last to go in the house, sitting at the front of the house, staring at the dark woods that surrounded them, just waiting for day to come. Blaze would always have to come and get her to go inside or she'll catch a cold.

Just when things couldn't get any worse, Thunderstorm hit the age of 14, Thorn was 13, and Blaze was 15.

This was the year her period started. Thunderstorm's stomach was aching so hard that she could barely move, and when she raced to the toilet, Blaze, who was coming out of his room, screamed, "You're bleeding!"

"I AM!?" Thunderstorm spun around, looking all over her body. "Where?"

Thorn's expression morphed into one of panic. "Behind your pants!"

"Behind my what?"

When Blaze and Thorn fetched their mentor, he was unfortunately, oblivious to the situation as well. He did a quick internet search-the source of all problems magnified and the bringer of panic to idiots-and left again.

When he came back, he handed a plastic bag to Thunderstorm, and told her this would help. She asked what it was, and he could barely even form words.

"It's for your... condition."

Thunderstorm later learned from the internet that it was a regular female cycle, something all girls would experience. If the situation didn't hamper her before, this certainly did. Now, every month, her mentor would forbid her from even exercising, even if it didn't hurt.

When she turned 17, their mentor followed the logic of "girls are smarter than boys" and elected her as the team leader amongst them. This man had undoubtedly, done an utterly crappy job. He took them to the city, and introduced them as the new team of heroes.

That's when the true hell of her life started.