Chapter 2

"Fly Winter!" Moon and Qibli vociferated as they landed.

"I can't!" Winter shouted back, "There's something sticking me to the ground. Moon and Qibli tried to take off but no matter how hard they tried, they could not lift their legs. They were like barnacles trussed to a rock, a shell stuck to a snail, a sticker attached to a wall.

"I'll try to stop it, "Amazon whispered.

The trees at either side of the rocky canyon erupted out of the soil and rocketed towards the mountainous boulder. It wasn't working. The frail twigs and branches would never hold in place something as omnipotent as the boulder and the crisping sounds of branches snapping were getting on Winter's nerves. The boulder started advancing on them again. "There's one more way, "Winter yelled.

"Using the essence of arrogance? "Qibli retorted satirically.

He drew out his Skyfire then hesitated. Don't expose yourself, Winter's mind whispered. It's not safe. But he had to live. "Enchant this boulder to instantly explode itself dynamically blasting Winter of the Icewings, Moonwatcher of the Nightwings, Qibli of the Sandwings and Amazon of the Rainwings and Leafwings to somewhere safe without hurting us."

Instantly, the boulder fulminated into pieces, sending rocks in their direction. The four friends were knocked upwards by the force of the rocks crashing into them like rubber balls and landed on a mountain.

They stood up without any wounds and everyone looked up at Winter, who was looking a bit abashed.

"Animus? How is that possible? "Qibli asked.

"I don't really know."

"And how did you cast a spell?" Moon demanded.

"What do you mean how did I cast a spell?" Winter asked back, flummoxed.

"Turtle can't cast spells. Nor can Anemone" exclaimed Moon.

"But I can," Winter insisted.

"Aren't you worried about your soul?" Moon asked.

"I enchanted the Skyfire you gave me to cast spells so magic doesn't eat into my soul," Winter replied. 

"But Darkstalker had the scroll yet he still became evil," Moon replied worriedly

"It isn't just the spells that rip up your soul, its the things you do. Also, Darkstalker cast too many spells before he had the scroll. There is no such thing as a soul spell. And for your interests, you can't enchant your soul, "Winter said testily.

There was silence. It stretched out for what seemed like an eternity until it was broken by Moon. She fell down with a sharp cry and rasped out uncontrollably like an obstreperous river 

"On the darkest day when celestials unite,

You shall find the dragonet of ice and night.

In the mountains, use your brain,

To befriend the dragonet of leaf and rain.

For silk and hive,

Search the desert dry.

For Sky and mud,

Beneath the ancient stone,

The dragonet hides alone.

Look in highest tree,

There you will find escapee,

Of sand and sea

Darkness will rise to bring the light

To show its power and might