Chapter 2

"I need your help on research, Dipper."

"Uwahh!! It really does sound like an adventure!! I would've loved to see it all~" Mabel's eyes sparkled, chuckling a little.

"Ooh, singing mermaids— but no! I sing much better than they do!" She stroke a pose, laughing after,

Dipper seemed to focus and calm down from excitement upon noticing Ford's seriousness, listening carefully.

"EH?! The weirdness in the town of weirdness is dropping???" Mabel overhead Ford's words, with Dipper sighing and nodding along to her question.

"Well. I will help you with the research." He smiled with determination, glancing over at Mabel, who shook her head as a 'oh, he could go ahead and help'. They've gotten accustomed to asking for each other's approvals.

"Thank you, Dipper. I'm just not the youngest anymore."

Ford let out a small laugh and scratched the back of his head.
Stan interrupted them talking and added that they should head to the Shack first. Mabel and Dipper still had their luggage standing around, after all.

"Good idea. We'll get you all set up and then we can discuss things further."

Stan, the gentleman that he is, made it his first job to take Mabel's luggage, so she doesn't have to pull it all the way to the Shack.

Dipper nodded in agreement, sliding his hands into his pockets, then nodding again at Stan's statement. They should head to the Shack, since they've just arrived, anyway.

"Ack— Grunkle Stan!!" Mabel laughed upon noticing that her great uncle had taken a hold of her luggage, but he seemed insistent on taking it, so she let him, trailing behind slightly.

..Before getting an idea.

"Grunkle Ford! You said you needed help on why the weirdness was dropping, right?" She called out, tilting her head, and without waiting for a response, she continued on. "I offer to go into the forest and help!"

"Mabel please don't go alone—"

"Hush now twin sibling! You are tired! You slept all the way from home to Gravity Falls on the bus ride!" She laughed, Dipper sighing in defeat.

"Good point. But are you sure you want to go on your own?"

"Very sure!"

"...hm. Alright.. stay safe, sis."

"I will!!" Mabel turned on her heel, heading right into the forest without waiting for any kind of reply form her great uncles.

Her grunkle stan laughed and poked Ford in the side with his elbow.

"See that, poindexter? That's my girl!"

"Please stay out of trouble!" Stanford yelled after her.

Upon Mabel's arrival the first thing she noticed was that the forest seemed completely silent. Not even a single bird was chirping. It was worrying. First not a single gnome showed up, and now not even a bird.

Then it hit her. Literally.

"Begone!" it came from the bushes.

A small creature with a pointy hat and brown beard jumped out of the bushes, tackling and biting onto Mabel's leg and lightly chewing on it. It let go upon releasing who it was biting.

"Mabel?!"

Silent. Hm. The brunette looked around, her hands in the pockets of her customised jacket.

"O w—" The girl yelped, jumping a little when she was bitten. She wasn't wearing any form of socks, so it hurt more, since it was on her own bare skin, though it did seem to pull away afterwards.

...but she did look down upon recognising the voice.

"...Jeff???" Mabel gaped, shaking her leg a little.

"What— where's all the other creatures??"

Jeff tipped his pointy hat to Mabel and eyed her new appearance and look while he had the chance. Lookin' fancy.

"Oh! They're in the bushes, hiding next to the squirrels in the trees, too... The frogs and tribbits are with the unicorns, as far as I know. Better question, why aren't you hiding? Didn't Schmebulock give you the news? Then again, he can't say anything besides Schmebulock..."

Mabel raised an eyebrow at Jeff taking a look at her, not exactly minding, though she seemed to shift to make sure he didn't see anything else.

"Hiding?" She tilted her head in confusion.

"What for? I didn't get any news. I just arrived back in Gravity Falls."

Jeff waved his hand and signaled that he wanted to whisper Mabel something in her ear. The brunette got onto her knees and lend her ear to him.

"...he's here..."