Noble Wars "Chapter One"

Chapter One:

 Hayashi Takagi

I listened to the loud sound of the noise the cars were making, memorizing it even, unintentionally that is. People have that weird thing called photographic memory but I don’t know what you call my ability. I remember everything I hear.

I was walking, going nowhere. It is something I have been doing for a very long time. I don’t sleep, I don’t eat, I don’t sweat nor do I get tired. I call myself a mutant, not one of those vampires you see in the movies. I exist without even actually existing. I don’t know anyone except those Shinigamis that pass by that I talk to. All I know is that I only experimentation and having my scientists dead, I have no more reason to live. Well, it is better than being experimented on. If I return to Kinta Intelligence, all of my love’s effort would be meaningless and besides, their needles hurt a lot.

I jumped down of the highway and landed on the bridge. I just sat there, waiting to see the beautiful sunset, feeling the irony that I would live until tomorrow, to see it. That is the only purpose I hold on to. I wanted to die in so many instances but my body keeps recuperating instantly so when I jumped off the building, I didn’t die. When I jumped into the middle of the ocean, I was only brought back to the shore by the waves. Don’t get me wrong, I jumped in the middle of the ocean on a moving ship. I have lived like this for over a century and to be honest, I don’t even know my real age.

“The scientists have died but their lab rat still lives, ironic.” I muttered to myself.

“Little boy, you shouldn’t be here.” I almost fell off my seat when a woman’s voice spoke behind me. I was under a bridge, how come someone else was under it? I looked behind me and saw a girl, so beautiful. She had a very familiar face.

“Lady, get out of here before you fall down.” I looked closely in her eyes and saw tears forming in it. “Why are you crying?” I frowned.

“It really is you. Kyohei, you’re alive.” My eyes widened when the woman mentioned my real name.

“How do you know my name?” I stood up and walked towards her. I always go by the name of Hayashi Takagi ever since and that was even the name I told the Shinigamis I met, except Yukina.

“I might ask you the same thing? How do you know your name; when you don’t even know who gave it to you?” My feet froze to where they stood.

“My mother gave me that name. I know because I will never forget the sound of her voice when she was crying, shouting so loudly. ‘Kyohei my son, he can’t be dead!’ so tell me now, who are you?” I ordered.

“But you were just an infant when she died, how would you know?” She asked, confused.