Noble Wars "Chapter Five"

Chapter Five:

 “So, I heard you are the first woman in the 11th Squad Division… I wonder how that feels like, feeling a bit isolated.” He smiled as he nibbled on his loaf of bread. It was as if he didn’t have any appetite and he was just eating for the fun of it.

“Well, our Lieutenant is a girl.” I took a bite of my tempura.

“I said woman, not a girl.” He grinned at me. “I heard you were a magnet in your squad. Many men are asking you out aren’t they? Well, you are pretty.” I stiffened when he complimented me.

“I don’t think that is any of your business Kyohei-sama.” I kept myself composed.

“You can call me Kyohei…” He was absolutely enjoying our conversation. I could see fascination in his expression. “So, are you still hanging there? I heard you had lots of work to take care of…”

“As a matter of fact I do, but it comes easily to me especially now that I’ve made the rest of the squad help out with the weekly reports. Anyway, I don’t mind being surrounded by suitors. I actually enjoy the attention they are giving me, although it mellowed a little bit when I beat them up at the training sessions.” I answered indifferently.

“You’re one tough girl aren’t you? I hope I can be like you; living freely as you will, making history as you change the present, and being strong in the eyes of everyone. I can’t even join my own father’s squad up until now, no one dares to talk to me here since they fear me too much and I just don’t seem strong to anyone, even my parents.” He looked down, and somehow I really felt sorry for him.

“Then prove them wrong Kyohei-sama. If you really want them to see your worth, you’ve got to think that you’re important yourself. Everything didn’t come to me by a simple blow of the wind, I trained really hard before. Also, you don’t demand respect, you earn it. Don’t try too hard—”

“It will come to you.” He finished my sentence and I was really astonished. For him to think the same thing as I was, we must have a lot in common.

“You knew what I was going to say…” It was not a question but a statement.

“Of course I did. My girlfriend used to tell me that always. You don’t demand respect, you earn it and don’t try too hard, and it will come to you.” Kyohei looked up and he seemed very happy talking about his love life while I felt something unusual. I felt pain lurking inside my chest, as if I was really jealous of this girlfriend he was talking about.

“So you have a girlfriend then. Who is she?” I tried not to sound too interested for him not to realize what I was actually thinking.

“Her name is Yukio… She left me, and never came back.” His words shot through to me like an arrow. It was as if he was really sad but I have no idea how he could still smile. I don’t know if I should think of him as sad or happy while he stared at me.

“I’m sorry to hear that.” I looked down and continued eating.

“Don’t be, I’m sure she had a good reason why she did it. I’ve known her to be very rational and reasonable.” He was already finished eating.

“Are you still expecting her to return?” I wondered.

“No… I waited for her long enough.” His words seemed to have double meanings inside of it but I couldn’t figure it out. This man is like a well, and I have to pump hard in order to get water.

“Well, that’s good to hear. It’s hard waiting for someone who will never come. Anyways, I better get going, I have some things to finish up at our barracks.” I lied. I already finished early so I had nothing to do but to sleep all day.