14

Jules Capulet

"Marriage?" I huff, raising an eyebrow at that. "How antiquated."

Mr. Paris sighs, grinning boyishly at my teasing. Really, it's not teasing. More like disdain for his flashy entrepreneur antics. "I wouldn't dream of it, Jules. No, this is a business contract for a businessperson, such as yourself."

I can see my mother's fingers tapping anxiously against her arm. Father pretends to fawn appreciatively over Paris, but I know the truth. My parents are much more interested in Paris's wallet than they are in him.

But are credits worth more than your child?

"You want a merger signed between the casino and Eye-Lens?"

Nutrix ducks his head in shame behind me, but I don't falter. I can sense my parents' unease, even through the Eye-Lens monitors.

"Not just a casino, a brand." Mr. Paris holds one hand in front of him, slinging the other around my parents' shoulders. The skin near my mother's scar folds in barely in-kept rage. "Think on it. The Capulets promoting Eye-Lens corporation. None other than the trendsetter, the star, Jules Capulet. A diva, absolute royalty of the fashion world."

"Jules," my mother begins, not so subtly wriggling out of Paris's embrace. "Mr. Paris wants you to become the face of Eye-Lens Corporation."

"A star..." My father repeats, his smile unfailing whereas my mother remains stern.

"Please, Jules," the numbers flow over the screen. The obscene amount of credits offered up at the end of a snippet of virtual contract. Just needs a fingerprint and a blood droplet to seal it. Jack Paris is dressed more simply than he was before. A plain gray shirt, jacket, and undone tie. Simple shoes. Like something from history, long ago. So unassuming. Minimalistic. He holds his hand out, and I can't swipe the credits from my mind's eye. "Join me."

I hold my hand over the wall-monitors. The wall parts to showcase a touchpad and thin, needle-like stylus where my blood sample and fingerprint would be recorded.

One digital signature, and I would never want for credits again.

The Capulets would be a part of Eye-Lens, the largest tech corporation in the world.

And I... I would be his. Not Jules Capulet, not even plain Jules.

I'd belong to Jack Paris.

"Wait, Jack," I pause, lifting my hand from the keypad. "Perhaps we can talk this over someplace in person." I smile at the screen, flashing a bit of torso with a fake yawn and stretch, the robe lifting over my stomach. He's all eyes. "I want to see you." He runs his hand over his chin, wary. I continue to grin, throwing in a coquette's laugh for good measure. "At the Capulet masquerade. More personal that way." He pauses, neon-lit eyes brooding. For a moment, I think I've thrown the whole merger deal to Summerland.

But then, he smiles back, the smile as fake as the rest of him.

"Save the first dance for me."

***

Hey, it's Ro Montague here. Don't forget to vote and comment... or else.

Your daily wisdom for the day?

I was not made to be owned.