30

RO MONTAGUE

Jules disappears.

So do I.

I transfer the majority of my credits to Gran Viviana's account, and then gather a bag of clothes and travel things. Benny nudges Tibbs' body with his foot.

"You sure you don't want me to get rid of them?"

I laugh, even as tears drip down my face. "No. No, to keep Jules safe, let the Capulets construct a story. Let them call me evil." I sigh, bundling up a blanket. Viviana watches in the shadows, muttering prayers. "Let them call me whatever they want. Just let Jules be free if I'm not."

Benny clasps my shoulder. "Mercy would want you to be happy."

I stare back, unflinching. "Well, Mercy's dead."

***

As the sirens wail, I'm already a few streets down. I can't hear Jules anymore. I think they're working double-time to hide their thoughts from me. Mine are broken, flowing aimlessly from worry to worry until my mind's just a horrible mess.

I duck into one of the brothels.

Rosaiah's.

Mr. Rosaline strides purposefully towards me, wearing his usual suit. "I smell blood on you. Oh, Ro, what did you do?" He runs his fingers through my hair, pushing it in mock gentility behind my ear.

I pull my shoulders back. Let him think what he will. I have nothing more to lose. "I want to disappear. Your girls are off-grid, right?"

He smiles. "Hm, how tempting. Have Ro Montague be my personal girl." He laughs, the sound dry. "No, I think I'll enjoy this much more."

He nods, and a host of trained guards remove themselves from the shadows. A host of weapons train on me, lasers riddling my body with the shadow of energy beams.

"How'd you know...?"

Rosaline reaches over, pulls one of the shadows away. It's Benny. They beat the shit out of him. Bloodied lip. A missing tooth. Eyes so swollen, I'm surprised he still sees.

"I'm sorry." Ben gasps, shuddering. I see his ribs aren't set right, his whole body turned in on itself like a gruesome accordion.

"Caught him hiding bodies." Mr. Rosaline purrs. "Beat him until he howled like a dog to tell me your name." He raises a brow. "You killed two people in one night? What a feat."

I run at Rosaline, but an electric prod lights up my entire left side. Screaming and convulsing in pain, I'm still reaching for his throat.

I want to kill him.

"Good night, sweet Ro. I'll say good night until the sun rises, because trust me, it gives me no greater thrill." Rosaiah chuckles, caressing my cheek. The pain's so bad I feel wetness trickle down my leg, but I can't do much about it. "Pleasure doing business with you."

***

Hey, it's Ro Montague here. Don't forget to vote and comment... or else.

Your daily wisdom for the day?

There's no wisdom left.