34

Then move not, while my prayer's effect I take.
Thus from my lips, by yours, my sin is purged.

RO MONTAGUE

Yes.

I'd risk everything. The fame. The credits. The Capulet name.

And I'd do it again, so you could understand just a fraction of what Ro feels. What half of New Verona feels.

Murderer.

I hear their words, their unspoken thoughts. I can only assume Jules is fighting against their mother, the ice queen, Lady Capulet. Still, they take Jules away, somewhere where even the infinity implant can't breach their thoughts. Somewhere where their mind is emptied out, imprisoned. A world of shadow and uncertainty.

And I'd do it again.

Murderer.

Jules' words, echoing in my mind. "I love you, you crazy fashion monster." I laugh, immediately swallowing the tiny bubble of happiness, fearful the guards will risk it to hit me with an electric prod again. "I love you, Jules."

I'd do it again.

Jules, a fighter.

I throw a bruised palm against the padded vault walls, the cold metal underfoot. They even took my shoes from me. My belt and weapons, of course. Can't have me hurt myself, risk hurting Jules. But they don't know I've started to care.

Ro Montague, caring, what a joke.

I turn upwards, spy the laser glow of the cameras in the walls. I flip them off, stick my tongue out. Juvenile, I know, but it keeps me happy.

Whir, click.

That's the cameras' only response.

I press my hand against the tiny cleft above my lip, the dried blood caked there. I try and clean myself up with some of the drinking water they'd thrown into my cell, inside a tin with a bit of food like a dog.

Whir, click.

Whir, click.

Whir...

An explosion. Light. Sound. Sparks rain down, and the entire vault goes silent. I scream, rolling to put out the sparks that land on my skin.

"Ro. Ro Montague!" I peer through the darkness. In the glow of a pink-dyed Eye-Lens, I spy a thin wisp of a man, freckled skin and platinum-straightened hair. They grab me by the elbow, and I nearly knock them off their feet in an instinctive roll.

"Dammit." He squints at me, the rosy pupils dimming behind his dyed lashes. "You idiot, I'm here to help you."

Behind him, a man with three eyes.

No, only two. And a laser camera.

"Ro Montague." Lawrence smirks. "I see you've met Nutrix." He takes my bruises and bloodied self in. "You've looked better."

Lawrence Fry has come prepared. He holds a device in his hand. A blackout sphere, killing any tech he chooses within the area. Literally, snapping at the code like Fate with a giant pair of scissors.

"Lawrence. I'm sorry about anything I've ever said about holy hackers..."

He rolls his eyes. "Enough talk. Let's get you out of here."

***

Hey, it's Ro Montague here. Don't forget to vote and comment... or else.

Your daily wisdom for the day?

Never underestimate the holy hackers.