36

RO MONTAGUE

"There's your Jules." The door hisses open. Lawrence has already carried the drained med-bots out the room. Disabled all the prying eyes. He pauses, looking between the two of us. "Ms. Montague, correct me if I'm wrong. But you and Jules... it's not just the infinity implant connecting you two, is it?"

My non-answer seems to speak volumes. Nutrix goes on, seeing the odd look in my eyes. "Funny. I thought it was just a fairy tale..." He then turns round to join Jules in the hall. "Say your goodbyes. Then we steal you away from here."

The door hisses shut behind me. I go towards the bed, and Jules is already awake. Their blue eyes stare into me, boring past the lame nurse's disguise. Even past flesh and bone. I set a hand against chestnut skin, waiting.

"Hola, Ro." Jules greets me with a waning cough.

"Hola, Jules." I reply, smiling just to see them again. "I thought you hated me."

Something in their face shifts. Changing from innocence to the fall. "I learned who our real enemies are."

I hold my forehead to theirs, their breathing synchronized to mine. Their cheek, still soft beneath my palm. Their curls, damp from tears. Warm against my bated breath.

Can you hear me? I test the implant's strength.

Always. Jules' voice is just as soft as the rest of them. My Montague.

They lift the collar on their gown, revealing a hasty tattoo. Done by their own hand, I can tell from the stretching lines.

An M.

"You're on my side now?" I can't help the grin as Jules traces the M tattooed on my neck.

"I'm on our side." Jules runs their arms around my neck, pulling me close for a final kiss.

Ours. The word never sounded so sweet.

***

Hey, it's Ro Montague here. Don't forget to vote and comment... or else.

Your daily wisdom for the day?

You don't need a power cord to establish a true connection. Cliche? Sure. Give me a break. I was kidnapped.