VI

'So you can eat garlic? I mean, it would be a shame if you had to quit on garlic bread- I love garlic bread,' Leah muttered as she stirred her cup of tea, sitting on one of the comfy chairs in Elijah's apartment

She'd been asking all sorts of questions, from his diet, to sunlight and now, garlic. It could be a coping mechanism, she didn't know, but it was probably something of the sort. She'd called in sick for work, not knowing how she could possibly teach while still shaken up from yesterday's event. Or maybe she wasn't even that shaken up, maybe the numerous questions, racing through her mind, brought her out of her natural balance.

Vampires, existed. Just like werewolves, witches, hybrids and doppelgängers. Elijah's family, the Mikaelsons, were the first vampires in existence and were therefore called The Originals. But, Elijah's brother was the result of an affair and had inherited the werewolf gene. Once this was revealed to the father of the household, Mikael, hell broke loose. A chain of events led to the family the Mikaelsons were nowadays, cruel, powerful and merciless.

Elijah was the kindest out of all of them, except for maybe Freya, but that was a story that he said was too tragic to share.

She knew that all the horrors should've frightened her, but if anything, it intrigued her. It reeled her in, like sailors and a Siren song.

'Garlic is no problem to me, neither are crucifixes and holy water,' he told her while he enjoyed his own cup of tea, a small smile plastered on his face.

'God,' she sighed, 'I must bore you. Going on and on about history, while you've lived every minute of it. I mean, what kind of wisdom could I contain, compared to someone who's lived so many years, seen so many things?'

A frown appeared on his face as he placed his cup beside him, on the wooden table, straightening his back. 'You do not bore me, Leanne. I have met many, much older than you, whom have seen and experienced more things... and none of them will ever measure up to you.'

A visible blush rose to her cheeks, her gaze dropping toward her hands as she fiddled with them. And suddenly Elijah asked something else, 'Why are you still here? I've told you of the crimes I've committed, the lives I've taken.'

She looked at him, all she could say was the truth, 'I don't know.' She hesitated as she felt the tension in the room get thicker, he was waiting for her to elaborate, but she didn't quite know what to say. 'I guess I just... I guess I'm just really stupid.' A sudden thought struck her mind, 'Would you want me to leave?'

'No,' he said solemnly, 'I mean yes... I mean-' he closed his eyes, 'I would want for you to be safe, have a normal life. But I'm afraid I've grown very fond of you and I don't think I can let you go, unless you'd ask me to, of course.'

'Fond of me?' she scoffed, 'I'm not a goldfish.'

He laughed, 'Well this was my unfortunate way of expressing that I am falling for you and despite the fact that it would be stupendous, dangerous even, I never want you to leave.'