XXVII

Freya came inside with a small cube, a cube that looked ancient to Jacques' eyes

Freya came inside with a small cube, a cube that looked ancient to Jacques' eyes. She was smiling, he noticed, so he asked: 'What did you find?'

'They hid it well, but the magic won't be too difficult to break. It'll take me an hour at most, will you hand me my own grimoire?'

And while she was handed her grimoire by Kol, Jacques noticed the subtle looks between the other Mikaelson siblings. An hour and they would be able to leave, so they needed to start preparing.

Rebekah turned to look at Kol, 'While Freya fixes that box, can you try and figure out where it's from? It might give us an idea of who we're dealing with.'

'That's easy,' Kol answered, 'those skulls and bones are exactly like the catacombs in Paris, we're dealing with a Parisian witch. Which is a strange thing on its own, Parisian witches don't like to travel. That could be why the magic is so simple, she's not close to her source of power.' Something seemed to light up in his eyes, 'I know where she is.'

'Where?'

Kol turned to look at Elijah, never thinking he could've found Elijah more fearsome than Niklaus. 'They draw their powers from death itself, she'll be at the Lafayette Cemetery.'

***

Slowly Leah felt her eyes open up to the world she remembered as her own, Odile sitting in front of her with a smile that could almost be described as kind.

'Je ne veux pas te blesser. But the blood of a doppelgänger is the only way I can bring her back.'

Leah shook her head slowly, 'I'm not the doppelgänger- I-'

'Je sais, but the doppelgänger is a vampire and you're her twin sister. You're the best chance I've got.'

'Please,' Leah begged tears streaming down her cheeks, chills going through her spine, 'I feel so sorry for your loss, but I have a son and -'

'Oh, ma cherie, I'm not going to take your life. I just need your blood, to revive mine.'

She frowned, hysterical laughter of disbelief leaving her lips, 'You- you just need my blood?'

'Oui, just the blood of the doppelgänger, that will do.'

'I'm not the doppelgänger, I-'

'Je sais, but you're her twin sister and the actual doppelgänger is a vampire. Your blood might just be the same, I'll have to take that chance. For her. For Juliette.'

'I-'

Odile put her hand against Leah's cheek, staring right into her eyes, 'Wouldn't you do the same, for the one you love? If you knew it were possible? Without killing a soul... well except for Jean-Luc, but whether he had a soul is debatable.'

'Because he's a vampire?'

'Because he abducted and traumatised an innocent woman.' To Leah's surprise, Odile's were laced with sympathy, but she hadn't forgotten the question she'd asked. 'Wouldn't you do the same for the one you love?'