XVIII

Her hands bound behind her back, an odd smelling bag over her head and a hand tightly wrapped around each arm, dragging her forwards

Her hands bound behind her back, an odd smelling bag over her head and a hand tightly wrapped around each arm, dragging her forwards. Her eyes drooped, yet her heart hammered inside her chest. Her entire body hurt, screaming at her, begging for her to stop, but it wasn't as if it were her choice anyway.

'Please, let me go.'

Her voice was nothing but a whisper, barely audible to human ears, scratchy from draught. Loud music drumming through her bones, screams of excited crowds filling her ears, the smell of booze numbing her senses. Tears trickled down her cheeks, the salt burning on her chapped lips as they rolled down.

The creaking of an old door, her foot hooking behind an uneven tile, a cold flash shooting through her body as sweat trickled down her forehead. But she wasn't met with the cold, rough pavement, her abductors hands so tightly wrapped around her arm that it would surely bruise. They'd caught her fall and suddenly she found herself wishing that her face had scraped over the floor. She didn't want them helping her, she wanted them to leave her alone.

And suddenly, the bag over her head was yanked away, the harsh light making her squeeze her eyes shut. The first thing she saw, was Jacques, standing in the corner of the room. She fought against the arms that held her in place, she screamed as she saw him, 'Jacques, run. Please, run.'

But her gaze quickly scanned the other people in the room, a woman and a man she did not know, and one man she did. Tears ran down her cheeks as her eyebrows furrowed together, 'Elijah?'

But Elijah wasn't focused on her, he looked at the men holding her and roared, 'Let her go, before I tear the both of you to shreds.'

They did, let her go, and she fell to the floor with a rough bang, no longer able to keep herself standing up straight. Before she knew it, she was scooped up unto familiar arms and she trashed against the familiar hold.

She didn't look at her abductors, she didn't even care what happened to them, she hit against Elijah's chest, 'Let me go.'

The pain that flashed in his eyes, was evident to everyone except her and gently, he lowered her unto the floor. On wobbly legs and a body that hurt, she ran towards her boy, standing in the corner of the room. A tear ran down his face and she held him against his chest as they both lowered themselves to the ground, their legs giving up on them. 'I'm so sorry Jacques- I- I'm so sorry.'

Through sobs, he whispered, 'It is not your fault, don't blame yourself.'

And that was all she heard, before her world went black.

***

Her eyes fluttered open, slowly, as the harsh light of day caressed her cheeks. Elijah watched as she made small movements, stretching her muscles. He stared at her beautiful face, slightly paler than he'd known it to be, a cut in her lip that made his blood boil. He closed his eyes, picturing the two men who'd brought her here and he shamelessly relived the moments in which he'd torn their hearts from their chests.

'Good morning,' Elijah whispered as he noticed her brown eyes lingering on him, a spark lost that had been there before.

She stretched her hand, as if reaching out for him and he sat down on the side of her bed. Her hand reaching to the collar of his jacket and softly pulling him closer. He could feel her breath against his ear as she whispered slowly, with a broken voice, 'Elijah, you left...'

'I know, I'm sorry, my love,' he answered, his heart clenching.

'Elijah?'

'Yes?'

Her lips touched the skin in his neck as her hand clenched tighter around his collar, 'I hope you're miserable, I hope you'll tear yourself apart, knowing that I hate you, with everything I have.'