XXI

Manic laughter echoed in her head, flashes of the old man's face passing through her mind

Manic laughter echoed in her head, flashes of the old man's face passing through her mind. Her chest ached as it became more difficult to breath, whimpers passing from her lips. A flash of books, and blood, and fangs. The terrifying darkness that washed over her, the pain in her limbs. With a soft cry she shot awake, panting and frantically scanning her surroundings.

A sense of comfort washed over her when she remembered where she was and she quickly tore the blankets away, stumbling out of bed.

She knew she needed help, therapy, but she doubted there were many vampire psychologists. And if she were really honest with herself, she dreaded the very idea of talking to a stranger, bearing her soul. She'd send Jacques to therapy, she herself had been to therapy before and it had helped her a great deal. So perhaps it wasn't the idea of talking to someone that scared her, but something else.

She washed her face above the sink and stared at her reflection, droplets in her eyebrows, streaming down her face. Her eyes were void of emotion, dark circles underneath them, the face of a broken girl. She didn't want to have cracks, she'd been in therapy before, these cracks were supposed to have healed.

She scrubbed her face dry with a towel and grabbed her sports bag, she would be heading down to the gym after a small breakfast. The ache of her muscles was the only pain she wanted to feel today, which was just another thing that confirmed she needed to go see a therapist.

Once she was dressed she went downstairs, even before reaching the dining room, she could hear Elijah's and Klaus' voices talking to someone whom had a familiar voice as well, but one she couldn't yet place with a name.

'Marcel?' she asked in surprise as she saw who the voice belonged to, making all the men in the room turn towards her.

Marcel smiled a smile that resembled the one Klaus wore often, 'Fighter girl, I believe you still owe me a sparring match.'

Leah frowned, but a smile played on her lips, 'I'm pretty sure I told you that wasn't a good idea. You being able to tear me apart in less than a couple of seconds and all.'

Elijah's gaze flickered from her to Marcel, but Klaus was the one to speak up, 'How on earth do the two of you know each otter?'

'The noble brother's former plaything was beating the shit out of a heavyweight bag in my gym.'

Elijah glared at him, 'She was never a plaything. Marcellus.'

He held his hands up in defense, 'Hey, don't make this about me now, she was the one who introduced herself like that. I don't even know her name yet!'

'I didn't tell you my name?' Leah asked in surprise as she tried to recall their conversation.

'Nope.'

'Well then, it's a pleasure to meet you, Marcellus. My name is Leanne, but I usually go by Leah.'

'Leah... when are we going for that drink?'