A dream from the deep

He was young, 6 or 7 and running. Running oh so fast, To save himself and another. A boy next to him, a little older, Maybe 9. His brother. He could feel it. After a while he tripped, Falling to the ground, His brother pulls him up and drags him until he can find his feet again “Where are we going?” Dylan asks “Don’t ask questions, Not me.. You” he replies panting as they run. Dylan’s confused, scared even. They get to a hole in the ground, a never ending hole. “Go” Dylan is suddenly falling, fast, watching his brother fade out above him as he falls “Joey!” he shouts as he hits the ground. Not from a great height. A portal maybe? He’s alive still. Alone and alive. As he hits the ground he wakes up, shooting bolt upright and sweating, tears pool in his eyes but he shakes his head and falls back, heart racing and trembling.

He knew it wasn’t a dream. More of a memory that he was trying to forget. Trying to replace. Move on. He needed air. Picking up the phone and running out onto the roof he ran over to the far corner. The corner he liked to reach when he was sad. In the winter he would go into the summer house type building but it wasn’t such bad weather right now so he could sit in the corner and take a deep breathe.

Dawn eventually peeked its head over the side of the building. Dylan had fallen into a dreamless sleep hunched up against a plant pot. As he often did he woke up shielding his eyes and then he stretched out his legs and sat up straighter. “I have to stop sleeping out here” he muttered knowing it wouldn’t happen. He didn’t attend school any more and he didn’t have a job to go too so he often spent time driving or swimming in the sea. As cold as it was in England he liked to swim and pools just had too many people.

He looked at his phone and shoved it in his pocket standing and walking over to the door. He let himself in, ate a banana and went for a shower considering the options for the day. Maybe he could find out more about this Evelyn. He sent her a text. Not expecting a reply. “Are you ok?” is all he sent. To the point, blunt. Wrapped in a towel he quickly pulled on jeans, a t shirt with pink Floyd printed on the front and a hoodie before running down the stairs to his car. Climbing into the front seat and leaning back against the chair. Still no reply. Half an hour passed and he decided to drive to the beach. It is only a short drive. Pulling into the car park he sighed and looked out over the sea. His phone went off startling him back to the present.

Beep Beep

A reply. “Always..”

“Good to know your still with us” he replied sarcastically but immediately regretted it

“Good that” was the quick reply

“Sorry.. I didnt mean that”

“So its not good?”

“No its great!”

“Ok then..”

“You have school?”

“Its a saturday...” she replied quickly

“Oh..”

He thought for a while and eventually wanted to reply. He didnt want to seem weird. So went with casual because although she didnt care, he did. He wanted to help her. Because he had been there. He had tried to end it before. A long time ago. A past he wanted to forget but he had straightened himself out and he wanted her too as well.

“Do you want to hang out?” he sent back and closed his eyes

“I do” was all she sent back

“Pick you up at 12?”

“Sure..”

Evelyn woke up to a text. She didn’t check the phone immediately as she wanted to see whether her face had gone down any more. She persuaded her mum that she had tripped in the park on the way home and hit a tree although deep down she knows her mum didn’t believe her. It had. Luckily it wasn’t as swollen any more so she layed back and drifted off again. Only for about 30 minutes though. 11.30am when she looked at the clock “Shit” she mumbled jumping up and in the shower, She dried off and threw on some leggings and a long red top with a black cardigan and some black ballet pumps. Her hair she let fall naturally as usual. 12 rolled around and she stepped outside her door sitting on her porch swing and staring at the floor, her phone and purse in her pocket. 12.05 and the car pulled up outside. She looked up and thought about backing out, running away. Moving towards it he jumped out and opened her door “Have a seat” he nodded as she passed and climbed in. He shut the door and then climbed in the other side “Hey.. Eve?” he asked looking across at her bruised face “Yeah?” “Does your mum always watch when you leave the house?” “I dont really leave with anyone usually” “Oh.. ok” he shrugs and waves to her. She dives behind the curtain not expecting them to notice her. Evelyn leans back and sighs a little “So.. where are we going?” she wonders out loud. “Where do you want to go?” “I dont mind” “Ok then... how about mine?” Evelyn nods and looks at him again “Sure..”