Chapter 16.) Karen

It was July 11th and Karen was cooped up inside bedroom with a bowl of honey roasted peanuts, whipped cream and a can soda watching the Michael Jackson video marathon on BET. She wasn't sure why they were playing it two weeks late, but she loved her some Michael so it didn't matter.

The girls were at the movies with Melinda and Antwon, Bryson and Tamia were visiting Keenan and King were out and about on a personal mission trying to find a lead on Ahmed's people.

"Ah come on," Karen huffed upon hearing the doorbell ring.

I just want one day to myself Lord, why you do me like this? She thought as she placed her snacks down and got off the bed.

Sliding her feet into her slippers, she grabbed her robe and put it on then headed out her room and downstairs.

"I'm coming, wait a minute now," she scowled when the doorbell rang again.

"Oh... Lucy... hey... um, what are you doing here?"

"Are you busy?" Lucy asked dropping her phone into her purse.

Obviously, Karen thought but quickly shook her head. "Come in,"

Following her into the living room, Karen sat down and stared at Lucy as she played with her fingers nervously.

Karen watched her for a few minutes then rose a brow. "Something you wanna talk about?"

"You have something to drink?"

"Mhm," Karen hummed eyeing her suspiciously as she stood up to head into the kitchen.

"You look like you need some alcohol,"

"Oh no, I have to go back to work in an hour I just needed to talk to another woman," Lucy sighed and Karen's curiosity peeked.

Handing her the bottle of water, Karen sat back down and waited a moment.

"Ok I think I fucked up... I'm not sure but I feel like I did," Lucy began before taking another chug of her water.

"About what?" Karen asked.

"Ok, so I'm kinda dealing with multiple men,"

Karen's brows rose and she quickly had to straighten her face not wanting to judge. "Ok,"

"It's not what you think," Lucy softly laughed.

"What do I think?" Karen tested and Lucy gave her a look.

"I'm only sleeping with two out of the three,"

Three? Oh Lord, Bryson got himself a hussy, Karen thought as she eyed Lucy.

"I'm just mingling," Lucy let out a breath and rubbed her hands together.

"You're sleeping with two men and leading on tha' third... dat is not mingling dear," Karen informed her.

"You haven't even heard my reasoning yet," Lucy sulked.

"Right... sorry," Karen cleared her throat.

"I only started messing with the other guy because the first one started ignoring me and blowing me off,"

"Why is dat?" Karen quizzed.

"I fell in love,"

Oh my damn, Karen thought then pursed her lips together.