Chapter 18

Clint debated with himself for days over whether or not to go to your midterm art show. Wanda's was on a different night as her focus was on sculpture and pottery while you stuck with things like painting or photography. He actually wanted to attend but feared it would be crossing a line. Things with you had been going well. So well, in fact that he was being extra cautious, not wanting anything to ruin the dynamic the two of you shared. What finally decided him was the fact he would have attended had the two of you not had your arrangement so there wasn't really a need for him to skip it.

When he walked into the school gallery, his eyes immediately scanned the room looking for you. Instead, his gaze landed on Steve Rogers. He should have guessed his friend would be here. He owned a gallery downtown and often looked for new talent at the school shows. Clint closed the distance between them and placed a hand on his friend's shoulder. Steve turned with lifted brows, grinning when he saw Clint. They shook hands.

"Didn't expect to see you here," Steve said. "Wanda's show was last week, wasn't it?"

Clint nodded and grabbed one of the waters a nearby student was passing out. He took a long swallow and cleared his throat. "The woman I'm seeing has some pieces in the show tonight."

Curiosity shone in Steve's eyes but thankfully he spared Clint any of the questions he undoubtedly had. "See anything that piques your interest?" he asked to change the topic.

Steve nodded. "I always find something I like, but liking and wanting to invest time and money in the artist are two different things. I might have lucked out this time though."

"I didn't think you were going to come."

Clint turned with a smile at the sound of your voice.

You pressed a kiss to his cheek. "You've been so busy. It's nice to see you, but you didn't have to."

He merely hummed in agreement and slid a hand around your waist to pull you into his side. "This is an old friend of mine, Steve Rogers. Steve, this is Y/N Y/L/N."

Steve's eyes lit as he grabbed your hand. "You're Y/N?"

You looked between the two men, uncertain why Steve was so excited. "Um...yes?"

"I was hoping to meet you this evening. Your work is stunning." He tugged on your hand to pull you away from Clint and toward one of your pieces.

Clint pulled you to a stop and you glanced at him in amusement. "Did you walk?"

You nodded. He hated that you walked everywhere, especially when it was dark. It may not have been when you came to the show but it certainly would be by the time you went home.

"Go talk to Steve. I'll take you home. I don't want you walking alone at night."

He could see the argument hovering on your lips, but you bit it back and simply gave him a nod before turning your attention to Steve.

***

You wanted to tell Clint you were a big girl and could see yourself home, but the truth was you weren't about to turn down the ride. You had intended to call an uber when the show was over, but Clint was a much more appealing option. You followed his friend to the photography series you'd submitted for your mid-term project.

He gestured to the four connected pieces. "These are brilliant."

You grinned. "Thank you." The photographs showed the curve of a female's naked back divided into four separate images. A man's finger was running along the spine in one of them.

"They are so simple but the lighting and angle...Everything is stunning. You can feel the desire in them."

Pride welled in you despite not having any idea who this man was. That someone you didn't know thought that your work was so great, thrilled you.