Chapter 19

Despite Clint's concerns about the amount of time the two of you were spending together, nothing changed. If anything, you only became more inseparable. Granted, the two of you were busy in your own lives. You were preparing for your show and Clint was working on his project with Nick so you had less time than before, but what you did have was spent together.

One day a few weeks after your midterm, the weather had taken a warm turn. It felt like spring and everyone was taking full advantage of the change to soak up the sun and the warmth while they could. It had been a few days since Clint had any contact with you apart from texts and phone calls and he grew restless sitting at his desk watching the time pass.

Deciding he wasn't getting anything done anyway, he left the office and headed home to grab his bike. By his calculations, he had just enough time to change and get to the school to pick you up after your last class.

Arriving with a couple of minutes to spare, he pulled up to the curb and turned off the bike while he waited for you to emerge. The day was cool enough he could leave his helmet and gloves in place since the two of you would be taking off soon enough. It wasn't much later when he saw you come out in a group with several other students.

You were walking arm and arm with a girl he'd never seen before. The two of you were apparently in deep conversation if the way your heads were tilted together was any indication. One of the guys in the group grabbed your arm to get your attention. Clint straightened as you shoved the guy away from you without even glancing in his direction.

Undeterred, the asshole slid closer and placed his arm around your shoulder. Clint started to climb off the bike but stopped when your head snapped over to glare at the kid in question. He had no idea what you were saying, but he chuckled as the interloper put his hands up in a placating gesture and backed away from you. He grabbed the rest of his little friends and they headed in a different direction. Good. The more distance between him and you the better.

Once Clint was certain the boys were going to continue to leave you alone, he turned his attention back to you. You waved at your friend as you finished your conversation and then headed straight for him with a wide smile.

"Hello, handsome," you greeted and flipped the visor up so you could steal a kiss.

Clint frowned. "How did you know it was me?"

You rolled your eyes and moved behind him to pull your helmet out of the back. "You on this bike in your gear is a sight I'm not likely to forget anytime soon. Trust me. It's been implanted in my brain since the first time I saw it in 9th grade."

The corner of his mouth curled up in a satisfied smirk. You took your seat behind him and he looked over his shoulder. "You make me feel like a dirty old man when you say stuff like that."

You laughed as you wrapped your arms around him. "You are a dirty old man, Mr. Barton."

He growled and started the bike. You laid your head against his back and tightened your grip as he pulled away from the curb.

***

Unfortunately, you and Clint hadn't gotten to spend much time together despite him taking off work early. You had a meeting with Steve that evening to go over your pieces for the show. You'd asked him if he wanted to come with you but that was your accomplishment and you could damn sure take care of it without him.

He'd settled for having dinner with you and left just as Scott arrived to drive you to the gallery. His mind wandered as he rode and he soon found himself driving the opposite direction of his home. The house he pulled up in front of was simple but stylish. Just like the woman that owned it.