Valentines

"I wanna give a chocolate to Rengoku-sensei!"

"Hey! Don't copy me! I also want to give him one!"

"You guys... What are you thinking, giving chocolate to a teacher?"

"Oh, shut up! You know he's simply dreamy! If you don't agree, you are lying to yourself and to God."

Shinobu had to stifle her laugh upon overhearing the conversation of female students who sat behind her, taking care not to choke on her meal and let them know she was listening. It was a week before the annual celebration of love, so this kind of conversation was expected everywhere she went. And yes, Rengoku-sensei indeed was dreamy. Aside from being handsome, he was nice and energetic, and his lessons were fun and easy to understand. It's no wonder everyone loved him so much.

Not that she could say that out loud though. Someone's gonna sulk if she openly admitted that.

"Ah, but won't Tomioka-sensei confiscate chocolates on Valentine's day? You know, with him being a stick-in-a-mud and stickler for rules?"

"No way! There's no written rules that it's forbidden to bring and give chocolates on Valentine's day, right?"

"Yes, but it's very possible of him to do that, no? He may see it like we're playing around or something."

That was spot-on, Shinobu thought, munching on her udon quietly. These girls understood that guy pretty well.

A slight movement from her junior who's sitting beside her caught her attention. Kanao may be eating her curry rice silently, but Shinobu swore her shoulders slumped a bit after hearing those girls behind them, like she's... disappointed?

"Do you plan to give someone a chocolate on Valentine's day, Kanao?" Shinobu asked with a giggle, partly joking because she thought that couldn't be, Kanao was a quiet girl, she's not close with many boys and she didn't seem like the type to be so proactive-

But Kanao choked on her curry, face turning as red as tomato.

It was just so unexpected that Shinobu couldn't stop herself from gaping, though soon her open mouth transformed into a smirk. She'd grown up! Kanao had grown up!

"So?" the upperclassman asked with a teasing smile on her face after Kanao gulped a glass of water, "Whom is it for?'

Kanao looked like she wanted deny it, but quickly gave up and hung her head down in embarrassment. How cute.

"Maybe not," she squeaked, fiddling with her curry rice. "Tomioka-sensei's going to confiscate it, anyway, so..."

Oh, no way she'd let him get in the way of her beloved junior's love story!

"Ahh, you don't have to mind Tomioka-sensei," Shinobu said, patting Kanao's shoulder. "He won't take a single chocolate on that day!"

The younger student looked at her with a confused expression on her face, but Shinobu just gave her a wink, promising a truth in her statement just now.

"But you have to tell me to whom you're going to give your chocolate!"

She never received anything from Kanao to answer that question, but at least her crimson cheeks looked absolutely adorable.

---

A day before Valentine's day, the rumour that the Discplinary Demon wouldn't be coming to school the next day was a hot topic, if not extremely rejoiced, among the students. The girls threw their hands in the air upon the news, relieved they would be able to convey their feelings to the people they admired and loved on the special day, while the boys jumped in joy on the prospect of them getting chocolates, even if they were obligatory.