Journal

a/n. ok so this was my first idea for soulmate AU prompt i received long way back. in this AU you have a journal that connects you with your soulmate. a warning this is super duper random and theres no plot whatsoever so ya dont expect anything haha. i still hope you enjoy this though!

It was raining-no, raining would be an understatement. It was pouring outside, and it made her mood even worse.

Shinobu hated hospitals. It's the same place where she lost her dearest father and mother. Would it be also the place where she lost her beloved sister as well?

While the doctors had said she had passed the critical stage, but she feared at the possibility, however small was that, of one long beeping of her sister's pulse. She knew it was an irrational fear, but nevertheless it choked her and made her heave in paranoia.

Stop this. I have to talk to someone, Shinobu thought. The bad thoughts will just depress me.

... But who could she talk to?

She looked past her shoulder, and saw her little sisters who had fallen asleep on the sofa. Kiyo, Naho, and Sumi were leaning on Kanao, looking exhausted from crying in front of the operation room earlier. Moving to fix the blanket enveloping them, Shinobu watched them with warm eyes, thanking the God that at least she had these little angels with her, or else she might have gone crazy from the anxiety. But as much as she needed someone to talk to, she knew they had been as worried as her, so she wanted them to rest. There's no need for them to worry together with her.

Squeezing her arm to calm herself down, Shinobu racked her brain for someone to talk to. It's weekdays and it's already 1 AM, she highly doubted Mitsuri was still awake-she always slept early, Shinobu sometimes playfully made fun of her for being such a baby-and it's even more likely since earlier this day they just finished their last exam for the semester. Should she send her a monologue? Honestly she didn't particularly need a conversation or a comfort, she just wanted to let it out. But knowing Mitsuri, came morning she would definitely apologise endlessly for not being there, so it's probably best not to do that. Now who else-

... The journal.

As quiet as she possibly could, Shinobu fetched her bag beside the sofa and rummaged inside, pulling out a black leather-covered book. It looked new, because she never did anything to it except opening it at the first time she had received the journal. It's such a weird book-there's no indication which side was front or back, and it had suddenly shown up in her room on her 16th birthday. She had asked Kanae and everyone in the house who had given her this book, but they had cocked their head in confusion-except for Kanae, that was, whose eyes had lit up in excitement and said, "That's the soulmate journal. Everything you write there is shared with your soulmate." Then she proceeded to show a similar book from her bag, though looked much more worn out.

But knowing it's (supposedly) something that connected you and your soulmate didn't excite her. In contrast, she felt overly skeptical at the book, deciding to stuff it inside the depth of her drawer. Besides, she's already preoccupied with her studies and taking care of her family, so writing on the journal seemed like a complete waste of time. However, as it curious as it sounded, every time she thought about the journal, it showed up right where she looked for it, be it her bag, wardrobe, or even her school locker. The peculiarity had somewhat convinced her that it was truly something that couldn't be comprehend by humans' minds, but she never wrote anything down because she simply didn't know what to say. An introduction would sound like she's very excited to meet her soulmate, when in reality she just couldn't care less about them.

Nevertheless, she really had no one else to turn to right now except this person on the other side of the book.

I must be crazy, Shinobu grimaced as she opened the book and clicked her pen. But she needed this, talking to someone. She just hoped the other side was not a bastard who would ridicule her for worrying too much.