CHAPTER VIII

•

They slept in the car since he was too intoxicated to make it out of the parking lot. Leaving Sadé to wonder if he'd remember the taste of her kisses the next day. He said nothing once he dropped her off home in the early hours of the morning, maybe she had overstepped her boundaries and misunderstood his intentions.

"Bye," she had waved before he pulled off.

Stepping up to the house, she saw Josefina resting on the porch stairway. Shaking her head, she walked over her and advanced inside with the spare key that she always carried.

She was thankful to get some shut-eye but had to wake a few hours later to get Alena dressed and ready for school then herself.

Mr. Gleason greeted her when she stepped into class late like always. He never tripped off it, though, since he used to be a regular spender on her mother before Josefina lost her looks and figure. He knew what home life had to be like for Sadé and her siblings with a guardian like that.

She found a spot then got her textbooks and journal out.

Flipping through each page until she found the exact chapter that was written on the whiteboard in front of the classroom. She copied everything down. Using her fingers to count through each problem.

"I want you all to go over chapters 102 through 105 afterward." He announced as dissatisfied groans and complaints from students followed just as the bell rang.

"Sadé!" He called as she gathered her tattered knock-off designer purse and books from the desk. "How's your mother?" He questioned. Josefina had often spoken on the long list of men she let into her 5'5 body and his name was sometimes brought up.

She had heard stuff about Mr. Gleason, certain things that made her look at him sideways.

"She's doing great!" Sadé forced a grin.

"Well, that's good to know soo hopefully she won't mind this." He took out his leather wallet and a rolled-up stack of money then held it out.

Her mouth reached her chin as her expression twisted up "you gon need that more than us."

She hurried from the classroom. Feeling disgusted that he'd offer money as he used to her mother after she wou— was he luring Sadé into doing what her mother had for money?

He probably assumed she was no different than Josefina—like mother like daughter. Just like most guys he might've believed that he could wave an amount and have any girl dropping her underwear.

The thought weighed heavy on her as she headed to practice. Several cheerleaders were already going over a dance and cheer chant "h-i-l-l side high. Home of the best and we're truly fly, if you mess with us then it's bye-bye cuz cheering is really our lives. Gooo team! Goo teammm!!!"

They popped their backs while moving the pompoms to each knee while in the center of the Gymnasium.

Sadé did her stretches then joined as all their right arms flew up to the ceiling. "Lincoln hillside highhhh show them what you working with!" The cheer captain, Zenobia Dillard yelled as upbeat dance music started to play.

They moved across the floor.

Sadé perfected the choreography right up until it was time for them to assimilate a pyramid. She could see face after face in the bleachers pointing and laughing at her. A dizzy feeling overtook her.

Her hands held her mouth "y'all she's about to vomit!" Jericka Parry warned as they all quickly lowered her.

Zenobia marched over "what's your problem?! You either want this or don't."

Sadé ran away to the bathroom. 

•

.

A/N: Remember to comment, vote, and leave feedback also 4 chapters have been updated today. Thank you for reading and sorry in advance for any typos since none of these chapters have been proofread.