Alex Adopts Cats

Based on a sentence prompt: "I may have accidentally sort of adopted five cats"
Magnus POV, Alex is male

"Magnus!" I heard the familiar voice call from behind me. I turned to see Alex, a large beaten-up cardboard box in his hands. "Wait up!"

It was a chilly fall evening in the middle of October. The sun was peeking below the heavy layer of clouds and was nearly covered by the tall skyscrapers of the city. People bustled along on the busy Boston sidewalks just as I was, though they all moved faster than I did. But I didn't care.

I had been heading back to Hotel Valhalla after a long day at the Chase Space. It had been surprisingly busy and I'd been there the entire day. Blitz, Hearth and I were constantly running around the large mansion to bring food to people and things of that sort. Alex hadn't been there the entire time, which wasn't helpful. 

I slowed down my pace so Alex could catch up with me. We walked side by side in comfortable silence. He was wearing his usual pink and green diamond sweater vest over a sweater, the same combination that always made my heart flutter. Today he had paired it with a pair of light pink jeans and some pink high-tops.  I always found his fashion pretty peculiar, but I wasn't complaining.

Myself, on the other hand, I'd decided to go with a pretty casual look. I chose to wear my dark green Hotel Valhalla shirt with my blue zip-up sweatshirt over, pairing it up with some light blue jeans and some black sneakers. It definitely couldn't compare to the flashiness of Alex's clothing. 

As we continued to walk, my curiosity grew about the contents of the box, but Alex didn't seem to want to explain the box or the contents of it. I could hear some rustling and some noises from inside it, and finally, my curiosity got the best of me. I reached my hand out to the lid of the box, but Alex stopped walking and smacked it away.

"Hey, not fair!" I complained. "You never even told me why you have the box, or what's in it. I can hear that there is stuff in it, because if you were carrying around an empty box that would be super weird." 

Alex looked at me for a second, then burst into laughter. "You looked like such a dork there, Maggie." He said while laughing. "That complaining was totally unnecessary. You have to be patient, we can't scare them by opening the box outside."

Them. He'd said them. That meant that the contents of the box were alive, or at least, it sounded like it. Soon many possibilities were swirling around my mind. Were they puppies? No, they couldn't be. I couldn't hear any barks. Maybe they were rats or possums. Knowing Alex, he'd find them amusing to give me. 

My thoughts kept swirling around my head as we began to walk again,  our pace not faltering as we neared the hotel. My eyes kept wandering back and forth between Alex and the box. I was confused and curious at the same time. 

We reached the wall of the hotel after a little bit. I turned to Alex as he looked at the wall, most likely wondering the same thing I was. 

"So, uh," I began. "How're we going to get it up there?" I said about the box. 

"It's easy," he said, giving me a look as if I was crazy. "We jump up there. And if anybody asks, the box has reference books for my pottery." 

I nodded but wondered just how well that answer would work. I mean, Alex already has all the pottery books that he needs in his personal library. That's the magic of Valhalla, it's personalized for you. But I decided to go along with it anyway.

I began by jumping up and over the wall, just as I had gotten accustomed to. After a moment I realized that, duh, I would probably have to help Alex with the box. And indeed, after jumping back up on top of the wall and looking at him, he was shooting me a dirty look. I apologized and jumped back down.

"Can't you just tell me what's in there?" I said, motioning wildly to the box. "Because I really hate not knowing and it sounds like there's-" Before I could finish my thought he quieted me with a kiss.

He pulled away after a few seconds. "Idiot. I don't know how you didn't guess from all the meows." 

Meows. That's what those muffled noises were. Of course, how hadn't I noticed them sooner? I felt so stupid at that moment. 

I turned to face Alex. "How are you gonna keep them for a long time? I mean, they could get hurt in so many different ways and don't get me started on the whole no pets policy-" Before I could go on another tangent, Alex shushed me with a kiss again. 

"You talk too much," he said. "Just help me get the box up there, or else I'll decapitate you again."

After a lot of struggling and cursing from both Alex and I, we managed to get the box up and over the wall. We set it down and took a quick break to let our arms rest, then we picked it up and walked into the hotel.

We got through a little while of dodging questions and hotel staff, and after fifteen minutes we finally made it into my room. Alex set the box down on the floor and opened it up. A small orange and white head with sparkling blue eyes popped out, then another, and another, until there was five all peeking out at the new world around them. 

I couldn't handle myself. I squealed. They were just... so cute! 

"We have to name them," Alex said with a smile, probably laughing internally at me. "But we can do that later." 

I nodded, picking up one of the kittens in my arms. It mewed and looked at me, causing me to squeal again. "They're so cute! I love them!" 

The rest of the day was spent with us cat-proofing my room. We'd decided that there were less hazardous objects in my room compared to Alex's, so it was easier to keep them in mine. The only downside was that I'd constantly have cat hair everywhere, but that's a small price to pay for the cuteness overload. 

And that, my friends, is how I ended up with five cats.

Words: 1,084
Just another cute little oneshot. I wonder what these two would name them... If I (somehow) get enough suggestions, I may add the names in the next chapter. Here's a picture of them, by the way. Leo out.

 Leo out