chapter six- mia

Chapter Six

I've never been the religious type. My parents never took us to church. After all, why would they worship God when they could get everything they needed for themselves? The concept of divine intervention wasn't really for us. My father never believed that outside forces were something that applied to him.

    Kids, he used to bark in that authoritative tone of his. Our kingdom is all we have. I don't need that magic shit.

    The surprising thing is, I never took Wade to be the religious type, but a few days after I left his apartment, he's in the ring again. Before the fight begins, his lips move, and I swear he's praying.

    There's savagery in him. The win is important. I know he needs money, like everyone else here. Thankfully, the other fighter isn't the reigning champion of the ring. He's a tough guy, but he gets only a few good punches in before Wade takes him down.

    The other man is sheer rage, but Wade is controlled. He knows how to move, figuring out exactly where to land each blow. There's a crack as fist meets bone, a splashing sound as blood and spit fly. The people cheer, egging Wade on, and he works the crowd. I watch him slam his opponent's head into the floor, wrestling his arms behind the guy's back before Thomas calls the fight. There's no mercy here, but it's hard to believe that the same man who showed me such kindness is also capable of such violence. It goes to show that no one is just one thing; we all have different sides, faces.

    I don't watch most of the beating, but I see when it's over. Someone helps the man out of the ring, almost dragging him like they did with Wade after his fight with Titus. Wade uses the hem of his shirt to wipe the blood off his mouth, and when he grimaces, I see his teeth are crimson.

    Thomas congratulates him. "Nice work, Wade."

    He hands him a stack of bills, and Wade stuffs them into the front pocket of his jeans. His breaths are coming fast and hard. "Don't mention it."

    "You know," Thomas continues. "If you're interested, I have another job for you."

    Wade stills, listening.

    Lucifer looks around at the crowds, at me. "We'll talk later."

    If Wade is even a little afraid, he doesn't let on. Most people get a little unnerved by the idea of being alone with the devil himself, but not Wade. If he seems uncomfortable, Thomas might be suspicious. He doesn't need to know about me going over to Wade's apartment or the deal we made. That's just a recipe for a disaster.

    My brother runs a lot of his private business from his limousine over drinks in the back of it. After he sends me home, that's where he and Wade go. I catch Wade's gaze for one second before he climbs into the car, and I swear he nods at me— just the nearly undetectable jerk of his chin.

    I try to piece together what the mystery job could be during the drive home, but I have no idea. The only thing I know is that Thomas won't hurt him, he doesn't seem to be on edge, so I know that Wade will probably be fine.

    I haven't eaten since I left school, so even though it's late, I heat myself some leftover pasta and sit down at the table. When my brother gets home earlier than usual, I find myself surprised. Outside of Purgatory, we don't interact much. He pulls out a chair and sits across from me, watching me chew.

    "You could've mentioned you were hungry," he says. "I would've had a runner go out and get you something."

    "It's not a big deal," I say, setting my fork down gently against my plate. "This needed to be eaten anyway."