| Troubled Sibling |

The Truth About Mila | MMC

"Angry women care. Angry women speak and yell and sob their truths."

~ Roxane Gay

~

Where there is life, there is love. Beautiful passionate love. Thriving to blossom into something more. To pass on into something even more beautiful; a child. A single offspring to allow the love to become more powerful.

The day Cristobal, Mila's only nephew, was born; Life held a new meaning. As she held the small human close to her, only two hours old, Mila found some peace. Perhaps the only peace she could find inside of this lonely world. And every time her eyes rest on the young boy, hope blossoms, and that love grew deep inside her.

However, Mila questions if she would ever find such joy on her own. How could she? Despite her beauty and intelligence, no one would want to have a child with someone like her.

That is what her mother had told her time and time again. The curse of the Galindo family. Only her living brother could pass on superiority. Mila truly believed in this and her mind could never be changed.

But as her mind wandered back on to the Mayan, a sliver of hope move into her mind. Perhaps this attention gave Mila some confidence. Just enough to allow her partnership with Miguel to become final.

No.

What she thought couldn't be that way. He is a Mayan. Coco could not just give her what she needed to push herself forward - even for a brief second. Mila did not know him and he did not know her. His attention should never matter.

For he is beneath her.

"Mila." Miguel, completely red from the face down stood before her desk. His hair a mess and his eyes wide. Mila did not look up from her paperwork. Of course, she wouldn't. Mila wasn't normal like their mother has stated plenty of times before.

Still, Miguel grows impatient - slamming his hand onto her desk. He rips the papers from underneath Mila's pen and throws them to the side. Surprised, Mila jumps back in her chair, frantically watch her work scatter to the floor, then places her bewildering eyes onto her brother.

"What the hell?" Mila spat. "You can't just come into my office and make a mess!"

"I pay for this damn office, Hermana," Miguel hisses, leaning forward onto the desk.

Mila is ready to say anything to dig under Miguel's skin, but she stops herself to study his body language. Something is wrong. Nothing good.

"What?" Mila says calmly, placing her pen onto her desk.

"Who was that Mayan you were speaking to yesterday, hm?"

Nothing good.

Mila places her hands onto her lap and searches the room for any object that could help her gain back the strength to be brave towards Miguel.

A picture of her nephew which sat perfectly upon the office fireplace catch her attention. She draws all her attention onto the newborn Cristobal. Within seconds, Mila is ready to face Miguel once more.

"What are you talking about?" Mila squints, wringing her hands nervously.

" DON'T PLAY DUMB WITH ME, MILA! WHO WAS IT?!" Miguel shouts at the top of his lungs. "I was informed that you were caught speaking to one of those....." Miguel breathes in, squeezing his eyes tight to regain his composure.

"You had someone following me?" Mila huffs. "Are you serious?"

"I had you followed to make sure you wouldn't do anything stupid. I couldn't quite trust you yet before we finalized our partnership." Miguel informs. "You have been reckless in the past and this business - this lifestyle - it isn't just rays of sunshine and rainbows. It is more than you think. So I had to keep you under my eye. To make sure you wouldn't betray me or speak of our business to anyone. Yet, you willingly spoke to a Mayan. Fucking messy."