7. Followers

December 1945
______________

Frost coated the windows while snow had packed onto the streets. Usually there was better maintenance to clear the pathway, but most didn't bother with that in Knockturn Alley.

The door creaked open and Chiara stifled a laugh as someone bumped into the skull. She was going to move it to a more reasonable spot, but Tom had insisted to keep it hanging at an odd angle.

"Well hello there, darling."

Chiara looked up once she realized the voice was talking to her. She was met with a boy around her age, maybe a year older, with platinum blonde hair and rosy cheeks. "Hello," she smiled warmly and sat up a bit straighter, he was rather handsome. "How may I help you?"

Her interest in him deflated slightly when he looked her up and down as if she was a piece of meat. "I've many things in mind," he smirked. The boy went to rest his elbow on the counter, resulting in an artefact falling over.

"Shit-"

Before he could reach it, another set of hands flew out and caught the object.

Tom narrowed his eyes at the customer and Chiara raised a brow, it was clear they knew each other. Before she could ask, another boy walked in with dark skin and golden eyes that complimented his complexion. Already Chiara could tell he was more reserved in nature, just by the way he carried himself.

"Zabini," Tom nodded at him before resting the artefact back down onto the counter carefully. "Malfoy, you lot go wait outside. I'll be out in a minute." The two nodded and weaved their way back out as Tom circled the counter and brought out his wool coat.

She watched him for a moment before deciding to ask, "who are they? School friends?"

He tugged the coat over his shoulders and fixed the collar, mulling over her question as he also put on his gloves. "You could say that."

Saying they were his 'followers' would be stupid.

He could feel her eyes on him as he walked out the shop, he was going to ignore it until he opened the door and the cold wind bit at his cheeks. Turning, he debated for a second if he should ask. However the smile she held indicated she had read his mind.

"Yes, you can borrow my scarf."

Chiara dug in her bag for a moment before she found the woven black cloth. Hopping down from her chair, she crossed the store and gave it to him. Tom looked at it for a moment before wrapping it around his neck. "Thank you," he muttered, not sparing Chiara another glance as he left out the door.

The wind was bitter so he took to burying his nose in the wool, only to be greeted by the floral scent of her perfume. It wasn't overwhelming, but it was definitely prominent.

He walked across the street and found Abraxas and Colin huddled underneath an enclave, a weak attempt at trying to block out the wind and snow. "What news?" Colin asked as he rubbed his hands together slightly before shoving them in his pockets.

Tom looked around them for a moment, analyzing if there were any ears bleeding before turning his attention back to the two. "I believe I've found someone who currently owns one of the founders objects."