9. Warmth

December 1945
                             ______________

  Looking up at the cramped building, Tom took one last huff of his cigarette before throwing it on the ground. He watched as the stick melted through the snow, slowly sinking. Chiara lived in a small flat on the outskirts of Diagon Alley. The building was narrow, slanted, and shoved between two others that were nearly identical.

The stairs creaked as he made his way up to the third floor, one board wailed so loudly it made the hairs stand up on the back of his neck. Tom mumbled the different doors' numbers as he walked down the hallway. It's ceiling was by far too low, he didn't even have to fully extend his arm for his fingers to brush the top.

He reached flat 307, smoothing down his tux before raising a hand and rapping his knuckles once sharply. There was slight commotion that was hushed through the wooden door, but it was clear there were at least three girls. The number seemed ridiculous for them all to be living in such a small place.

The door creaked open and a tanned girl peaked her head out, eyeing Tom for a split second before swinging the door wide open. She gaped at him with no shame, completely ignoring how one of the pins in her hair came loose. Shaking her head, the girl glanced over her shoulder and yelled, "you never said he was handsome!"

Turning her golden eyes back on Tom, who of which looked like he'd rather be anywhere else, she smiled at him suggestively. "You know what would be a splendid idea? You should come with us to this country side village we sometimes go to, oh Chiara would love-"

Seconds barley passed before Chiara wedged her way to the door, a flush to her cheeks as she scolded her friend with her eyes. Tom felt his lips quirk up, there was clearly going to be a telling off later.

Slamming the door shut, Chiara blew a stray hair out of her eyes and smoothed down her dress, muttering an apology for her friends behavior. Tom didn't mind, he could never resist flattery. Raising his arm, Chiara looped it through and he looked down at her with a faux offended expression.

"You never said I was handsome?"

Rolling her eyes, Tom couldn't help the smug expression tugging at his lips as he apparated them away.

Blinking up at Malfoy Manor, the large and black monochromatic estate was breathtaking as well as daunting. "Is the inside just as intimidating?" She muttered, her heels clicking on the cobble stone walkway.

"It's a matter of perspective." Tom itched for another cigarette but he knew now wasn't the time. The ridiculous little things were addictive.

Other guests were walking in as well, all dressed lavishly to reflect their wealth. Chiara bit her lip as she looked down at her own gown. Yes, Abraxas had given her plenty of money. Nonetheless she felt guilty so she only spent about half of it. Part of Chiara regretted the action now as she stared at all the other dresses the guests were wearing.

Tom could sense her deflate and he pulled her to a stop just before the front doors. Which were massive, nearly fourteen feet tall, and dark oak. She furrowed her brows at him and watched as other couples went around them, annoyance clear on their faces but Tom didn't seem to care.

They were all beneath him in his opinion.

"I know you can handle yourself but heed my advice, don't let them get to you. If they see a crack they'll lunge, despite their diamonds they're like savages." He thought his words would be reassuring, but he watched as she gulped and he sighed through his nose.