Sweetener

Chaeyoung
New York University
February 11th, 2018
8:27 AM

My phone blares beside me, waking me up from my amazing dream and my deep sleep. With my eyes, half open I check the caller ID and see it's my mother with a FaceTime call.

I quickly wipe my eyes and sit up, answering her call.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CHAENGIE!" I hear from the other end and see my mother, father, and older sister all looking at me with wide smiles.

I definitely forgot it was my birthday today. Either way, I smile widely at the gesture. Getting calls from any of them, regardless of it being my birthday are always good.

"Thank you so much, guys." I say into the phone and I blow them some kisses.

My sister pretends to catch one and puts it in her pocket, making me smile even wider.

"What are you going to get up to today?" My dad asks. I shrug. "I have work until four today and I go in at ten, so I don't really know what I'll do after that."

I see my mom frown. "Chaeyoung-ah, you should have took the day off! It's your birthday!"

I chuckle. "I know, I know, but it's okay. I only work until four."

We continue talking until it's time for me to head off for work.

The way my mom said I should've taken the day off, you'd think my job is hard. I'm just an assistant at the library on campus. Really easy job, but I have it because sometimes I need the extra money.

I am feeling really homesick today, though. I have been for the past week, but especially today. Just a few more months until I can go back to Korea for the summer.

Don't get me wrong, I love New York and eventually, I plan to move here permanently, but it's really hard not to miss home and my family. Especially on days like this.

I reply to all the birthday texts I've gotten so far and also go on my social media and reply to the ones on there.

Once I finish replying to those messages and posts, I realize I haven't gotten not even a call from one of the people that I adore the most. I pout as I continue walking. No way she forgot, right? We just talked about my birthday last night before she left my dorm. She couldn't have forgotten. Maybe she's not awake yet?

Attempting to shrug it off, I walk into the library office and am instantly surprised at the sight of balloons and cupcakes on the table with a bunch of envelopes.

I smile widely and drop my bag off in my locker before rushing back into the office.

This is the sweetest thing ever. I didn't think they'd remember, let alone have balloons and cupcakes for me. I start reading the cards and smile at all the sweet things my coworkers wrote for me. I'm in awe.

"Chaengie!" I hear come from the door. I look up and smile seeing Lisa rushing over to me with her arms open. She engulfs me in a warm hug and I hug back.

"Happy birthday, my love!" She says as we pull away, both smiling. "Thanks, Lisa!"

"I didn't plan anything for you because asked not to and because I know you would've hated me. I wouldn't want to make you uncomfortable so I just got you a gift, but I didn't want to bring it here, can I take it to you later?" She says as she leans on the desk with a cute smile on her face.

I nod. "Yeah. Thanks for that, too. I'm feeling really homesick today so I wouldn't have been up to any major celebrations."

She pouts and kisses my cheek. "Either way, I know Jennie probably has something planned for you. It's like I can just see the birthday sex in your near future!" She says while smiling and giving me a thumbs up.