The Funeral

Once again thank you so much for the votes and comments! We are nearly at 20,000 reads, that is insane!

xxxxxxx

When the morning came, Thomas was already out of bed and downstairs as I could hear his voice booming from the kitchen. His little boy image was obviously far behind him and his strong dark facade had come back to play. But I understood...he had to be strong, not just for his family but for the people of Small Heath and beyond, for Thomas Shelby was not a little boy, not even death could touch him.

Polly helped me pack a small bag and we all drove to the train station. Although the reason for our trip to London was a sad one, this was the first time I was really leaving Small Heath since I arrived, and I was nervous.

As I climbed onto the train, I leant my head down onto Tommy's shoulder, out of support and out of fear that someone could recognise me.

"You don't have to worry, even if someone recognises you, they won't come near us." John said from across the seats.

I nodded. The train journey felt longer than it needed to be, and we sat in silence for most of the journey. The air was heavy with apprehension and sadness, even though the boys tried not to show it. while the rest of the train chatted, we were a family shrouded in sadness.

As we got off the train, 3 cars were pulled up outside to take us to the church.

As we reached the cars, a man opened the door for me and offered his hand. As I went to take it Tommy moved in front of the man and took my hand, helping me into the car instead. I smiled slightly as a scowl crossed Tommy's features.

As we both sat down, I whispered in Tommy's ear. "I've never been to a funeral before."

"Not even your mothers?" he looked surprised.

"No, father wouldn't let me, he said it would have been too traumatic."

"It's not that bad. People make it out to be a lot worse than it is." Although his words were founded in what seemed like truth, I could see the sadness behind his eyes.

"You are allowed to be upset Tommy. You don't have to hide it from me."

"This is just how I am Ami. I am feeling it, trust me." He lit a cigarette and looked away from me.

The service was short and relatively peaceful. Ada was crying with Polly and Tommy didn't let go of my hand. It was a small congregation, people I didn't recognise mostly, and people I had met in passing over the months I had been with the Shelby's. Soon the funeral was over and Tommy was whispering to Ada, probably asking her to come home with us, but I knew she would refuse.

"We have been had." A voice sounded from behind me, it was Arthur.

"What?" I said alarmed.

"The Garrison, someone blew it up."

My breath hitched in my throat. "Do you know who?"

"No that's all I know." He motioned over to Tommy.

Could we not just have one day without trouble arriving at our doorstep?