Part 4

I was rolling around on my bed when I heard a set of knocks on my door. I didn't move nor make any sound and just ignored it. Whoever knocking there will come in anyway. As if on cue, I heard the door being opened. From my peripheral vision, I saw Chu coming.

"You okay?" she asked with concern evident in her voice.

I sighed and looked at her. She sat silently on the edge of my bed, expecting me to answer her question. I signalled her to come closer. She moved her body and lied down, half of her body resting on the bedpost.

"I want to say that I am, but you know I'm not." I looked at my ceiling. Raising my right hand, I opened and closed my palm repeatedly, playfully catching the orb of the light bulb in my room.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know if she had a girlfriend. She never told me about her love life and I never saw her with anyone either. If I knew, I will tell or warn you in the first place." Her facial expression was serious this time, unlike the usual bubbly-explosive crackhead that she usually wore.

"It's not your fault, Chu. You don't have to say sorry." I reassure her. It's true, though. The only one who had the answer to all my question is Irene. I didn't want her to feel like it was her fault, which truly wasn't.

"Have you talked to her?"

I shook my head. "She didn't reply to my texts."

After our unexpected meeting, Irene stopped contacting me. I sent a couple of texts but she just left it at 'read'. I didn't want to look desperate, so I stopped.

"Give her some time. I'm sure she will come around. She's not the type of person who'll leave unfinished business behind her. As her cousin, I can vouch for it. You know how reliable I am, right?" She wiggled her eyebrows as she said her last sentence.

"Dork." I chuckled seeing her funny expression. I always appreciate her effort to comfort me. She knew how to make me smile whenever I'm down.

"Anyways, help me to do my English assignment, will you. My head hurt just by looking at the questions." She fished out a book from her bag.

I smirked mischievously when I saw the pen that she's holding. It's the pen that Chaeng bought for her. "Nice pen, I don't know you're into that cutie stuff." She saw my smirk and throw a pillow on my face.

"Shut up, it's from Chaeng. She will be mad if I didn't use this." She tried to sound mad, but I saw a blush creeping out her cheek.

"Or you just like it because it's Chaeng who gave you that." It was my turn to wiggle my eyebrows to her. I like teasing her like this. It's a rare occasion. Usually, I was the one who got roasted by them, so I'll treasure this chance. I can feel myself growing demon horns, holding trident and making an evil laugh right now.

"I. Told. You. To. Shut. Up. You. Monkey!" She emphasized each word by hitting a pillow on my body.

*

Today was supposed to be our 'date day'. It didn't happen, though. Ah well, I knew my place. I was just a random girl she met at the party, and she already had a girlfriend, a gorgeous one at that. I had to stop this growing feeling inside me before it's getting too deep. I cursed myself for falling easily to someone I only met once.

I can't help but question what happened these past few days. It's like a rollercoaster ride and making me dizzy. One time I flew so high, not long after, I crashed the ground. I still needed an explanation for her action towards me. Deep inside, I wished that she didn't play me.

I walked around the park to unwind. Sitting under a big tree, I rested my back on its trunk. Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath. I like this. I like the feel of fresh air, the green leaves and the grass. It's a perfect place to unwind and read a book, my favourite thing to spend time with. I began to read the novel that I brought and immersed myself in it.