The Ant and the Grasshopper (A story about stockpiling).

(Architect: Oh, hey Destroyer! Do you want to hear a story?
Destroyer: No, I don't think I should.
Architect: Aw, come on! You'll enjoy it, I promise!
Destroyer: Fine, if you say so...
Architect: Yay! Here goes...)
Once there was an Ant and a Grasshopper.
(Destroyer: Oh! Is this an animal story?
Architect: Kinda. It works with animals or humans.
Destroyer: Oh. I'm sure I've heard this elsewhere though...)
The Ant and the Grasshopper lived near each other, and both were allies in a huge war between the insects! They stockpiled and used ammo at incredible rate, each running large supply chains to produce guns, bullets and bombs!
There, the similarities ended however.
The Grasshopper used rounds at an incredible rate, sowing destruction all across the insect kingdom. He was a force to be reckoned with!
The Ant, however, stockpiled his ammunition. "I have to be ready to defend myself," he stated.
The Grasshopper looked up from his machine-gun...
(Architect: not as cool as a rocket launcher if you ask me, but ah well.)
...and replied; "whatever you say. But you never know. The day may come when you have no need for that ammo! You should use it now."
(Destroyer: I have a few questions.
Architect: Yes?
Destroyer: I thought that it was food, not ammo, that they were stockpiling. And I don't think there was any fighting at all in this story.
Architect: Ah, but this is my version. Besides, it works better with ammunition, trust me.
Destroyer: Does it?
Architect: Anyway...)
The Ant refused.
Weeks and months passed - it became Summer. The Ant kept cool with baths and lots of ice-cream, whereas the Grasshopper stuck to cold steel, and blew his enemies apart. Then one day, the Ant was awoken by a knock on the door.
"Dear Ant, my friend," said Grasshopper, "I was pursuing a legion of ladybirds, and have slain them all, but now I have no ammo! May I borrow some of yours?"
The Ant grumbled, but let the Grasshopper into his reserve to take some. The Grasshopper left with one tenth of the Ant's ammo, a large amount to be sure, but ultimately not much of the Ant's supply. In fact, after a few weeks of hard work he had completely made up the difference.
Summer soon cooled into Autumn. The Ant kept stockpiling - "You never know when you'll need it!" - and the Grasshopper kept to his conquests.
(Destroyer: That's it! All you've done it swap food for ammo. This isn't a new story at all!
Architect: No, stay, please! I promise it's not the same. I made it better I swear! Far more relatable!
Destroyer: No. I'm through.
Architect: If you leave I'll tell Dreamer to cancel your 'Gaia' upgrade, and you'll be short forever.
Destroyer: I'M NOT SHORT! I just haven't developed much yet, that's all...
Architect: You sit down, and let me finish, and I won't tell Dreamer to halt your upgrade.
Destroyer: Uuu...fine.)
Then, midway through Autumn, the Ant was awoken by a knock at the door. It was the Grasshopper again.
"Dear Ant," said the Grasshopper, "I have been busy pushing our foes eastward, when I realized that I had run out of bullets! Can I take some of yours?"
The Ant sighed. "I would prefer not. I don't know when I'll need them."
The Grasshopper pressed; "You may never need them. If you let me take some, I'll use then in your defence."
The Ant relented, and again the Grasshopper took one tenth of his reserves, thanked him and left. And again, through hard work, the Ant replenished the ammunition, until he had more than he had started with.
Autumn froze into winter. The Ant rested by a burning fire, the Grasshopper by heated gun-barrels and smoking cities.
Deep into the winter, when the cold really took hold, the Ant was awoken by a knock on the door. It was the Grasshopper.
"My trusted Ant," said the Grasshopper, shivering, "Our battle is progressing well, but I have no ammo again. May I take some of yours?"
But now the Ant had heard enough. "Stop with this nonsense!" He declared, "I will not lend you another box! I do not know when I might need it for myself!"
The Grasshopper tried to make his case heard, but the Ant had had enough. He sent the Grasshopper on his way, and continued to stockpile his reserves.
The Grasshopper was forced to strike a deal with a shady Stick Insect instead to get his ammunition, that was not reliably sourced and produced by ethical means.
Winter began to thaw into Spring. The Grasshopper was admiring the first buds growing when he heard a knock on his gate. Looking up, he saw the Grasshopper.
"No, I will not lend you another bullet!" He declared.
The Grasshopper shook his head. "I don't need one. Don't you know? We won the war."
The Ant was shocked. "We won? But...what about all my ammo?"
The Grasshopper shrugged.
"You'll never need it. It's all worthless now."
And the moral of the story is, use all of your bullets!
(Destroyer: Hmph.
Architect: What?
Destroyer: Well, it was a good story...
Architect: I know it was!
Destroyer: ...but that's not a good moral at all! In the original -
Architect: Who cares about the original? This is the moral I live by!
Destroyer: You're crazy. I'm going now. But...please don't tell Dreamer to cancel my upgrade?
Architect: I won't!
Destroyer leaves.
Architect: She has no idea that the program stopped four weeks ago does she?)

Bang! Bang! Bang! Boom!...wait, what were we talking about again?

-Architect