Chapter One- The beginning

There's no way to describe the way music makes me feel. It's been my life long passion. I went from singing my heart out on the primary school playground to busking on Brighton pier. I've never understood why I love music so much but what I did know is that it is my life. If I wasn't listening to music I would be singing or playing guitar. I guess you could say my parents get fed up with me but it wasn't a problem for my father anymore. It was just me, my mum and my little sister now.

After two years of agony I'm still unable to survive a day without thinking whether my father was still out there or not. I guess you have to get used to it when your father is a soldier in the army. Sometimes when I'm singing to the public I think I can see him, his wavy brown hair settled over the scar on his forehead. His bright blue eyes, I remember from the looks he'd give me when assuring me everything would be okay. Maybe I'm delusional but I feel like he's out there watching over me, whether he's dead or alive I know he's always with me. When we got the news he was "missing in action" I knew I shouldn't get my hopes up but it was too late. I miss him.

Now I am designated babysitter. On the weekends I'm not busking I'm at home watching my two-year old sister making sure she doesn't coat the walls in crayon, whilst mum works extra shifts to support our family. I wish I knew what the future had planned for me but at the moment I'm trying to balance my life between, school, friends and my passion for music.

"Mum, I'm home!" I said as I dragged my guitar through the front door. Hoping to see my mum and my sister watching TV in the living room, I walked further through house.

Awaiting a heartfelt reunion, I was welcomed with quite the opposite. As the words left my mum's mouth a wave of anger hit me.

"What do you mean you've been fired!" I yelled as my emotions escaped me, "you can't be serious."

"I'm sorry sweetie, they said I was taking too much time off work."

I couldn't believe it, after all the work my mum had done, they couldn't allow her to have time off to care for her youngest. I glanced at the velvet sofa to see my sister smiling back at me. Without hesitation I walked over to the couch and hauled my sister into my arms.

"Everything's going to be okay," I whispered to her, "don't ever lose that smile, I know dad will help us."

I didn't care whether I was telling her the truth or not, well to be honest I didn't even know, all I wanted for her in that moment was to keep her smiling for as long as possible.

An hour had passed and I found myself listening to my breakup playlist, it may not have been the end of a relationship but it was definitely the end of an era. I had no idea how we were going to get through this, I felt helpless and I couldn't speak to mum, she already had to find a new job that would accept the hours she could put in. Before I got too deep into my thoughts, the doorbell rang. The sound of the bell echoing through the house brought me happiness. I couldn't tell what it was I just knew that it was going to brighten up my day.

"Clark!" I screamed with joy. "You have no idea how happy I am to see you."

Just as I thought, maybe something did want to brighten up my day.

"Girl, I haven't seen you in two weeks, come here!" I felt elated, my life long best friend, Reya Clark, had come to my rescue. However cliche it may sound, this girl could turn the cloudiest days into the brightest.

"So what's going on? You seem bothered," she asked.

The mere interest she showed in my happiness made me feel so much better.

"Before we talk about the deep depressing aspects of my life, why don't we talk about you for once! How has my best friend been whilst she's been avoiding me?" I said whilst nudging her, showing full sarcasm.

"Good. Well, great actually."

"I know that smile," I responded with a smirk, "who is he?"

"Well if I tell you that I would have to kill you," she said as she lightly pushed me to show her joking manner.

"What makes you think you can keep this from me, I am your best friend after all."

After an hour of filling each other in on all of the gossip, I checked the time.

"Reya, thank you so much for coming over today. I know you didn't know it but I really needed this."

"What kind of best friend would I be if I didn't check in on you once in a while?"

After knowing Reya for six years I knew I didn't deserve her. The admiration I had for her was incredible and after all the things she has been through the fact that she had allowed me to unload my problems onto her filled me with guilt but also gratefulness. I had no idea how our family was going to cope with this change but I knew that if we continued to have friends like Reya on our side that we could get through anything. After all, this was just the beginning. I'm Morgan Wilson and this, is my life.