Chapter 3 - Daybreak

When Estera awoke, it was to the sight of Jupiter Juarez sitting at her side. The room was bathed in daylight, making the sterile white space glow in contrast with his brown skin and black garments. A breeze invaded the open window at her side, causing the gauzy curtains to float towards him. His rigid posture resembled a statue as he sat there with hands resting on his knees. And unlike her mother's hands, his didn't bear the same evidence of battles fought and won. What kind of man, what kind of leader, didn't fight for his people?

"My son tells me you're from the west," he stated without greeting. "Why did you leave?"

She scooted upright, giving herself time to remember what she said to Magnus. "I was attacked by someone in my village. So I ran away."

"Why would you run instead of report them?"

Thinking quickly, she replied, "He's kind of important. No one would've believed me."

"Important how?" He raised a brow.

"He..." Her thoughts raced like a stampede of little mice. How much did Jupiter know about the west? Taking a chance, she said, "He's a town council member."

"That's odd. Last I recall, the west has a voting system, not a council."

"When's the last time you've visited the west? Things have changed."

Jupiter nodded. "Fair point. A lot has changed over the years because of the Great War. Including here."

Estera studied his face as his eyes dropped to his hands, his brow tense. It was as if he was reliving a memory right there in front of her. Whatever it was created deep creases across his forehead. A warrior would never wear their emotions so openly. Maybe it was an angle she could use to her advantage?

"It changed me too. I lost my mother shortly after the war."

"I'm so sorry." Jupiter glanced back up.

"She passed away during childbirth." Estera pretended to wipe a tear.

"I'm sorry," he repeated, his brow still creased. "It's a tragedy when children have to grow up without a mother. Especially a daughter."

"Do you have daughters?"

"Unfortunately, no. I would've liked more children, but..." He looked away, sighing. "Like I said, the war changed us all."

"I'm sorry."

"Well, that's enough lament for today." He drummed his thighs. "Are you hungry? Think you can manage to limp to the Great Hall?"

"I can manage."

∆∆∆

As Jupiter guided Estera to breakfast, her eyes roamed the vicinity. There were lots of people—way more than she imagined the place being capable of housing, but the city wasn't as big as she initially thought. There was one main road which ran in a circle, and on either side were buildings of various heights, but no more than five levels. Rope bridges connected some of them, creating a walkway in the sky above smaller houses that were wedged like afterthoughts.

There was also a heavy security system.

Guards protected the entrance, but it wasn't just there. Through the alleyways, she could see them pacing the entire perimeter of the wall, protecting their city. Watchtowers stretched towards the sky every few feet on top of the wall, with antennas and reflective mirrors glinting in the overcast sky.

"You're quite the observer." Jupiter followed her gaze.

"I've never seen anything like this place."