Chapter 5 - Calm

Estera watched his back disappear into the office as she remained standing there, completely forgotten about while the others returned to their work. What she witnessed on the cameras before they fritzed, was madness. She still didn't understand why they were risking their lives to collect lightning, but whatever the reason, it had to be important, so she needed to find out why. If she was going to make something of herself, then she couldn't fade into the horizon. Magnus was in a position of power, and if there was one thing she learned from her mother, it was that partnerships could elevate one's status. She needed him.

Except there was one problem, and it was Mira.

It was obvious they cared for one another, which had the potential to drive a wedge in her plans. Even if she didn't know what exactly those plans looked like yet.

With her mind made up, she knocked on the office door and entered without being invited. Her presence startled him as he spun around and brought a hand to his chest with a notable sigh of relief.

"So... you guys catch lighting?"

"We do." He leaned against his desk. "By the way, I'm sorry for leaving you hanging out there. Would you like to sit?"

"It's ok." She waved her hand. "You've had an intense afternoon."

"You probably think I'm crazy."

"No. Brave is the word I was thinking of."

"Brave? No, I was foolish today."

Estera tilted her head and narrowed her eyes at him. "You should stop doing that."

"Making foolish decisions? Yes, I know."

"No. I mean, brushing off the seriousness of what happened out there. It's ok to admit that it shook you to your core."

"But, it didn't."

Smiling, she stepped closer. "Magnus, you don't have to pretend with me. I understand putting on a brave face for the others because you've known them all of your life, but I'm not them. I'm a stranger, which gives you the luxury of being completely candid with me if you want. You could even reinvent yourself, and I'd have no clue."

"Is that what you're doing? Reinventing yourself."

"In a way," she replied calmly but was internally kicking herself. She'd said too much. "Here, I don't have to be the scared, fisherman's daughter anymore. I can be strong. Maybe even brave like you."

"Does that mean you're staying?"

Estera stepped a little closer and peered up at him through her lashes. Even with a bruised face, she was confident. "Do you want me to stay?"

"We could always use another skilled worker."

"I see." Her abdomen tightened, and she brushed the hair out of her face, disappointment. "What kind of work?"

"Well, we need all the help we can get with managing our farm."

"What about the wall?"

"Unfortunately, that job is off-limits."

"Why?"

"It's dangerous, which is why we have men take on the task since we depend on the women to keep this place running."

"But Zemora works the wall."

"That's because no one can tell her, no." He smiled.

"And what if I won't let you tell me no, either?"

Taking a chance, she ran her fingers up his arm while staring directly into his coffee eyes, and his Adam's Apple bobbed with a hard swallow. When she pressed her hand to his chest, she could feel the rapid purr of his heart. Behind them, the door pushed open, and Rafi's deep voice followed with his head buried in the tablet in his hands.