Chapter 8 - Suspicion

Magnus was hunched over his desk, a cup of coffee in hand, and buried in the latest report from his Storm Trackers. The last two days had been full of storms, mostly small, which was good news for him since their storage chambers below ground were still full from the last big one. As soon as his father returned, they would have to make plans for the next trading post run as soon as possible.

A knock at the door pulled his focus away, and in walked Rafi with a new storm report.

"Please tell me it's another small one?" Magnus scrubbed his face, yawning.

"Well, you'll be happy to know that our Storm Trackers have been working tirelessly with their faces in their computers, and it looks like clear skies for the next few days."

"Thank you." He rubbed his eyes.

"Are you alright, man? You seem kind of out of it?"

"I'm just tired. We've had so many storms lately, and between doing Samson's job and mine, I feel worn out."

"Yeah, well, everything starts going downhill in your thirties," he laughed softly. "I swear, the other day, I almost put my back out just tying my shoes."

"We're definitely not those twenty-year-old guys working the wall anymore, that's for sure."

"Speaking of being twenty-something..." Rafi rested his bottom on the edge of the desk and folded his arms. "Looks like you were getting cozy with Estera the other day when I walked in."

"That's not what you think."

"No? Because I heard a little whisper that you were seen running back to your apartment with her that very night." Rafi playfully cocked a brow.

"Um... Uh..."

"It's ok, man. She's an attractive girl. Maybe a little young for you, but I see why you like her."

"I hardly know her."

Rafi face-palmed himself. "Here we go with excuses."

"I'm not making any."

"Yeah, you are. You always do. How many girls have practically thrown themselves at you, and you've turned them down? I know you shoulder a lot of responsibilities around here, but life can't always be about work. Have some fun every once in a while. Hell, sew your wild oats, just because you can! I know I would if my name was Magnus Juarez."

"You don't get it. They throw themselves at me because of who my father is. They want a title."

"Excuses."

"It's true! The only women who've ever seen me for who I really am are Zemora and Mira, and they ended up falling in love with each other."

"Ah, come on, what about Serena? That relationship lasted at least a year."

"We just... Drifted apart." He shrugged.

"Because you're a workaholic."

"No, it's because one day it'll be me running this place, and I have to prove to everyone that I'm capable. If I can't, then how can they trust me? And if they don't trust me, this place will fall apart."

"Mag, people trust you. We all believe in you. Now if you would just stop using these excuses to deny that something is cooking with Estera-"

"Get out." Magnus pointed to the door. "All the way out."

"Just think about it, man. Estera is an outsider, which means you get to have a clean slate with her, and if you stop being such a hard ass, maybe she'll get to know the real Magnus instead of the facade?"