Chapter 7 - Trades

In the days that followed the celebration, Estera spent her time getting acquainted with her new community by shadowing Mary, who was in charge of meal prep in the Great Hall kitchen, and Anderson, who oversaw the fruit and vegetable garden. When she wasn't following them around, she was ducking into the Weather Room to get away from the storms, and get closer to Magnus. Their progression had come to a standstill when he passed out after taking her home, and she suspected he was embarrassed. Which meant she just had to try harder.

However, the time had come for her to venture to the trading post, which meant she would be gone for at least thirty-six hours. It was a setback she wasn't sure she could afford with Magnus. What if his emotional walls returned? She had friend-zoned men before, but she'd never experienced it herself, and she needed him if she was going to succeed in the north.

Clouds were hovering as usual, and she was getting used to the constant overcast and chill in the air, compared to the sun and uncomfortable heat in the south. Magnus walked quietly by her side as his father and Samson strolled just a few feet ahead towards the caravan of vehicles and tankers idling outside of the gates. When they reached one of the vans, she inhaled a deep breath before stepping inside.

"Wait." He tugged on her elbow. "Be careful out there. Stick close to my father and brother."

"You're worried..." She bit back a smile while studying his serious face. Feeling bold, she asked, "Will you miss me while I'm gone?"

The gurgle of engines occupied the silence that followed as his eyes darted to the people taking their seats. His voice softened when he looked at her again and pinched his index finger and thumb together. "Un poquitito."

Samson honked the horn, hollering they needed to get moving, and to her disappointment, Magnus stepped back with a simple head nod, instead of a hug.

"Bye, Estera."

"Bye." She waved.

∆∆∆

By the time they reached the trading post, it was nightfall, and everyone in the van was grouchy from the long drive. They all exited to stretch their legs, giving Estera a chance to get a good look at their surroundings. Clouds as thin as stretched cotton, drifted past the moon, causing it to blink and return with a radiant beam across the tall sea of grass, where rows of tents surrounded a totem pole — a white flag waving at the apex. People warmed their hands by fire pits scattered throughout the camp, while others strummed guitars to the melodic chirp of a harmonica.

It wasn't at all what she expected, and as she surveyed the place, her eyes followed a man walking a dirt path in the distance that led from the camp to an old building with a vacancy sign. On the illuminated porch, a few people sat in rocking chairs, with legs propped on the railing that wrapped the entire lower level.

"Come on, Estera," Jupiter called out. "We still have to set up the tent and booth for tomorrow. I know you're injured, but you can help by handing us materials."

"And the quicker we get it done, the quicker we can eat and go to sleep." Samson tossed her a sleeping bag, and she fumbled to catch it with one arm. When she glanced up at him, he smirked.

It was going to be a long trip.

By the time they were finished, an hour had gone by, and the sky seemed darker than before. As she looked about, some of the fires had burned out, and fewer people were hanging around. She wiped her brow, and her stomach complained of hunger with the scent of dinner wafting her way. Jupiter patted her shoulder and pointed to a communal tent in the middle of the camp that served food. From a distance, she could see steam rising from different pots on a portable stove, and a cook flipping something in a frying pan. They walked to it, and she hugged her borrowed jacket closer to her.