Part 1

"Hey! Have you read the fourth book of 'Deadly Crown' yet?" Chloe grabbed me as soon as I returned back from my shift at the bookstore , waving the book in question in her hand.

I paused, looking back at her. I was already tired from a long day at work, the last thing I wanted to do was get in an argument with my life-long friend, now roommate. Having grown up together, children of two single parents who married when we were young, we were best friends as well as family. But Chloe and I were opposites. She was loud, a social butterfly, always confident, seeking the spotlight. I was the quieter one, the planner, hating to stand out. Despite our differences, we still got along well... at least as far as anyone could tell. Privately, I admitted to myself that our relationship's stability was dependent on me being willing to compromise. If we both wanted something, I gave it to her. If we argued, I apologized first. It was frustrating, always being the one giving in, having to be the understanding one, the bigger person... but I still did it every time.

She was my friend, my only one. And I needed her more than she needed me.

Sighing, I mentally prepared myself and answered. "I told you after the third book that I was dropping the series."

THUD. The book had slipped from Chloe's fingers, her other hand gripping my arm almost painfully.

"WHAT? You never said that!" She looked so offended, I almost believed her, even if I knew I had told her this at least three times. "Why would you stop reading it?!! 'Deadly Crown' is the best fantasy series ever!"

"It's depressing and violent. Almost every major character except the main hero and villain gets killed and replaced." I started listing reasons, holding up fingers as I spoke. "The main villain is terrifying, he murders people in horrible ways, but the book focuses on him half the time, describing his violence in excruciating detail!"

"So? He's dark and mysterious!"

"It's...just not something I like reading." I hoped she would understand this time, but even this faintest positivity was crushed as her face became more stern and angry.

"That's stupid! Even if you don't like Lucien, there's still Graham, the hero!" She sighed happily. "He's so wonderful, I wish he were real!"

I shook my head. "He's not so great. I mean, he practically has a harem! Think of all those women that he leads on! Each one of them thinks she's special to him, but Graham just fools around and tells them that 'his heart is conflicted'."

"He's a sensitive soul!"

"He's a jerk, who likes to manipulate women to get what he wants!" I threw up my hands. "Why are we even arguing about this? It's not like he's a real person! He's just a character."

Chloe's hand tightened its grip even more, her fingers digging into my arm. Gasping with pain, I tried to pull my arm back, only to be unable to shake her off. "Take. That. Back." She glared at me. "Graham is a wonderful hero, you shouldn't say anything bad about him."

"But he's just..." My words trailed off as the pain in my arm grew unbearable. "Fine. I'm sorry. I didn't mean it."

I hated myself for backing down.

"And you'll read the fourth book?" Chloe didn't relax her hand until I nodded silently, but then smiled, pressing the book into my slightly numb grip. "GREAT! The twists in this book are even better than in the last one! I can't wait to talk to you about it!"

"Yeah... great..." I let out a quiet sigh, rubbing my arm. I knew I should speak up more, not let her push me around, but... since our parents died last year... she was all the family and friends I had left.