Part 6

"The others are fighting for all the advantages they can get prior to the first party tonight."

The masked servant knelt on the cold floor without any sign of discomfort, reporting in a dispassionate tone. His master sat on the windowsill, staring out into the gardens, a single finger tracing patterns in the condensation on the glass.

"How many keys do my brothers control?" Luke's voice was cold, as if he didn't care much about the answer that every nobleman in the city would give all their possessions to know.

"None. Prince Graham's mother has bought over some relations of the third, fifth and eighth Lords, and Prince Fetter has been blackmailing every servant in the city, but the Ten Lords themselves have not given their loyalties to any prince."

"Holding out for the highest price?" Luke sneered, his eyes searching the gardens as he spoke. "I can't imagine those greedy old men having any notions of loyalty or fairness."

The servant bowed his head silently.

"So it will actually depend on the three parties? My father should be pleased that his final test will be carried out so well."

"... Your Highness?" The servant hesitated a long moment before finally speaking up. "Why are you participating in this ridiculous trial? It's a complete farce! With your forces..."

"It is none of your concern." The chill in his voice seemed to freeze the air between them.

"...Very well, Your Highness."

"She still sees something worthwhile in me." He muttered quietly. "I won't betray that." His eyes caught a glimpse of a figure walking along one of the garden's pathways through the glass, and his gaze softened, a gentle smile tugging at his lips.

"If there's nothing else, let's end it here."

"..." The masked servant didn't move, staying in his kneeling position. Although his expression couldn't be seen, his discomfort could be felt as he fidgeted in place. As the silence dragged on, Luke reluctantly looked away from the person in the gardens, turning towards the masked man with a frown.

"What is it? Something important?"

"I'm... not sure." The man's brows knitted together. "It's a little... unusual more than anything."

Luke waved a hand. "Well? Go ahead."

"There's been a... movement? A religion?" He shook his head. "Perhaps 'cult' would best describe it... spreading amongst the servants and craftsman in the capital."

"I see." Luke raised an eyebrow. "And why is this my concern?"

"Well, partly because the majority of your servants have taken part... but also because of its source." The servant looked away from the prince's gaze, uncomfortable. "You see... it's a peculiar belief system, that states that by casting off one's name and identity, one can avoid the deadly trouble and world and live a happy life."

"..." Staring at the kneeling man for a few stunned moments, Luke couldn't help but throw his head back and laugh loudly. "How many have joined this cult?"

"Well... it began with just a handful among the areas she lived in... but it seems to have spread like a wildfire."

"Of course." A grinned tugged at the prince's lips. "She can't help but draw you in."

"Your Highness..."

"Leave it be, unless you judge there's any danger to her." He turned back to the window, a finger tracing over the glass outlining the person in question. "Go make sure all my forces stand ready in case something goes wrong."