Part 8

It was the last party. The final test.

I had a third dress. This one I accepted without much argument, my thoughts preoccupied on the possible dangers ahead. It was grander than the others, a midnight blue, almost black, the same color as Luke's eyes. He stared at me as I entered the central space in his rooms, his face tinged red as he took in my new appearance.

"The dress... looks amazing on you." He covered his eyes with his hand for a moment, sighing. "Now I really don't want to go to this party."

"It's probably a little late to run away." In more ways than one.

"I guess so." Sighing again, he held out his arm. "Ready to go?"

"One second." I stopped in front of him with a smile. "I'm missing a bracelet to go with this dress. Think I can wear yours?"

Luke paused, his eyes wide with shock. Then slowly, a smile blooming on his face, he took the dark beads off of his wrist, sliding it over my own with a gentle touch.

"It was always yours. I was just holding it for you." He stared down at the bracelet, his eyes worried. "Are you sure?"

I smiled. "I'm sure."

"Your goal? Of being away from all this?"

The brief moment of panic I had yesterday, where I considered running away crossed my mind.

"I guess I can't just leave you alone." I grabbed his arm, and pulled him out the door. "Let's go. We have some keys to get."

___________________________

The party started off well, although the atmosphere was even more strained than the previous two. Everyone began grouping on different sides of the ballroom depending on which prince they had aligned themselves with. As Luke gained another key, bringing our total to four, I felt a moment of satisfaction at the size of the crowd gathering in our corner.

It's working, we're changing the book! I felt excited, albeit still anxious to get the night over with. But despite the party dragging on, there were no moves from Fetter or Chloe. Finally, I had had enough.

"Just one more left. Luke, You approach the Fifth Lord and I'll try the Eighth." I gave him a gentle push in the right direction.

Luke stood his ground. "I don't think we should separate..."

"We'll be ten feet apart, it will be fine."

"..." With an unhappy expression, Luke allowed himself to be pushed away, and began talking to the Fifth Lord and his group.

Now if things follow the rules of dramatic plot, now that I'm alone...

"So have you made your decision?" Fetter whispered in my ear, causing goose bumps to run down my arms. Shuddering, I stepped away, putting some distance between us.

"Your Highness, I'm afraid I'll have to reject your offer." I reached a hand into the pocket of my dress, where I had hidden a blade from the prying eyes of the Royal Guard. "You may have my name. But I refuse to betray Luke. Not even for that."

"Is that so?" Fetter didn't look disappointed at my rejection. If anything, he seemed excited. "I'm so happy! I was hoping you would struggle. It will be more fun this way, anyways." With a quick turn, he walked away without another word, leaving me staring worriedly after him.

This isn't good. I thought he was just going to announce it... why is he backing away instead? Ditching my plan of drawing out the villains, I kept my hand on my knife and walked quickly back towards Luke.