The Ball (part 2)

SEVENTH YEAR, DECEMBER 24th, 1989-
"I'm so nervous." I whispered to my friend, Jada.

"Ava, it's just a staircase. There's nothing to be afraid of." She tried to reassure me.

"But, like, half the school's down there. What if I trip and humiliate myself? What if he doesn't like what I'm wearing?" I said frantically, feeling less confident in my dress by the second.

"OK, first off, you look incredible. And second of all, it's Charlie. You're his best friend, he's crazy about you."

I took a deep breath. "OK. I can do this." I walked down the stairs and saw that everyone was looking at me. I could see some of the girls whispering to each other, but I didn't care. I was just scanning the corridor for ginger hair.

I walked over to him and smiled. "Hi."

He turned round. "He..Wow. You look beautiful."

"Thanks. Shall we?"

"We shall." He said, taking my arm.

LATER THAT NIGHT-
After we'd danced and eaten, I had an idea. I turned to Charlie and said into his ear, "Let's get out of here."

He nodded at me, and exited the Great Hall. We ended up walking the long way back to the common room, and we just talked and joked and laughed at each other. All of the portraits were already asleep so it was quiet. We got back to the common room, but stood outside for a while.

"I had fun tonight, Charlie."

"Me too. Thanks for suggesting we go together."

I smiled at him, and he wrapped his arms around me. After we let go, I looked above us.

"Look. Mistletoe." I breathed.

"Oh, yeah. That's cool."

"Y'know, mistletoe only grows in places like this when it's above two people that are truly in love."

"Well, let's see then, shall we?"

He tightened his arms around me again and brushed his lips against mine softly. I smiled at him and leaned in properly. We stood there kissing for a while, before the Fat Lady woke up. We gave her the password and entered the common room.

He looked down at me, and brushed some of my hair out of my face, and kissed me again.

"I love you, Avaris Mitchell."

"I love you too, Charles Weasley."