Chapter 21: Regretful Words

Crispin's eyes tighten at the man as he looks back and forth between his enemy and his sister. His gaze lingers on her stomach and he gives a curt nod. "Fine. You only have a few moments and then Rose and I are leaving—with or without your life still intact," he says, resting his sword on top of his right shoulder.

Santiago bows and motions for them to sit at the table which only has four chairs. He herds Rose over, placing a careful hand on her back and pulls out the wooden chair for her, helping her sit down. She looks up and gives him a loving smile and glances at me before fixing her gaze on Crispin. "Sit brother," she insists to Crispin while Santiago takes the seat next to her.

Crispin shakes his head and steps forward but only pulls up his leg and places it on the seat, leaning his weight on it. "I'd rather stand, thank you," he replies coldly. It's clear he doesn't trust Santiago, perhaps not even Rose.

"Friend, will you put your blade away? There is no need for it here," Santiago says, forcing a grin.

Crispin smirks, "My apologies, but what isn't clear to you? We are not friends, vagrant, and I will do no such thing."

Rose looks over at the three of us who linger behind our prince and the corner of her full lips pull down into a frown. "May we have some privacy? This is a private matter," she says, her eyes lingering on mine. For some reason, I get the notion that she doesn't care much for me.

"I go where Crispin goes," Amiri tuts, folding his arms across his broad chest, "Your highness," he adds, his tone giving away that he is not pleased with the girl's choices.

Crispin nods, "Aye. They are with me and have as much of a right to understand why we haven't killed this man as I do," he says, pointing his blade at him to where it is only a mere two inches from Santiago's face. He then retracts it and replaces it on his shoulder.

"So be it," Santiago says before turning to Rose, "Let me explain, my flower." She gives him a nod and places her hands on her belly, caressing it lovingly.

"You are aware that you sister was taken captive a few months ago by some of my men on her travels to Aretha. We didn't find any of those in her caravan worthy of being slaves except for her after we discovered she was a royal. As you know, I sent a ransom to your father and said I would exchange her for gold and land—he refused," he says with a shrug.

"On our travels back to Rorik, I made sure no man touched her to keep her value high. As I got to know her, I realized she was different from the other women we've taken...pure in more ways than one. I'll have you know that I've never been anything but kind to her and she can attest to that," he says, looking at her.

She nods and gives a delicate smile before he continues, "It didn't take long for us to fall in love. When we reached Rorik, I told her she was a free woman and I would send her back to Paevia with my most trusted men. She refused and wished to stay with me and I was unable tell her no. Now she carries my child and I couldn't bear to lose either of them, your grace," he explains.

Crispin's nose crinkles up and he turns to his sister, "You mean to tell me that not only did you give yourself up before married, but to a Rorik no less? A man as vile as him?!" he asks, his voice rising. "He has bewitched you, portrayed himself as another man and has blinded you of who you are; what you're worth."

Rose smirks and rolls her eyes, "Don't even start with me. You've been sleeping around with women since you were fourteen! Just because I'm a woman things are somehow different?" she asks, shaking her head. "That's not fair and you know it. Besides, Santiago is not the vile or evil man that you believe him to be. He has not bewitched me and I know who I am and what I am choosing to leave it behind."