Finding a Part-Time Job in Highschool ~ Kay

Hi there! It's obsessed_chaotic_cat

So many of us are in highschool, myself included, and a lot of people start thinking about college.

Now, wherever you may live, (US, Europe, Australia, Canada, etc), college is expensive! And not everyone has the capability to pay for everything without loans (which can be gruesome) or the help of parents (whom, aren't always willing to put in a couple thousand).

So a lot of people start seeking for jobs in highschool, typically starting from 10th grade, or about 16 years old.

So I am here to give you guys some tips on how to look for jobs!

💸💸💸

1) Fast food restaurants are not your only option.

Many people think that working for McDonalds, Burger King, or Taco Time sweeping floors is the only job they can get as a teenager who hasn't finished high school. But there are other options!

Along with working at a restaurant, here are some other jobs you can get:

● Being a tutor/instructor at your local Kumon or any tutoring and learning center.

● Similar to the first one, being a grader for students' papers at Kumon, or any tutoring and learning center.

● Being a tutor at your city's local afterschool centers, such as Boys and Girls Club, which is running in America, Canada, and Europe, as far as I am aware of.

● Working at the YMCA. This is a job that you are more likely to get if you are a senior in highschool, or just graduated, but it certainly is a place to look into if you are in highschool. YMCA is running in 119 countries (according to Google) so there is a pretty good chance of one being near you!

💸💸💸

2) Asking your teachers

Sometimes, connections are everything, and if you maintain a good relationship with your teachers or professors, they can recommend you to someone. For example, if you are in the AP Business and Marketing class, and you are a pretty good student and have a good relationship with your teacher, you could be recommended to be a paid intern at a firm, where you could be handling financial things. Of course, this isn't guaranteed, but if you keep a good relationship, this is a possibility. There are many good things that can come out of being a good student, if not a favorite, and a job opportunity is one of them.

Or, if the end of the year is approaching, just ask! By the end of a school year, teachers have figured out who is a hard worker and, on some levels, who deserves a job. It can be you! Casually being it up sometime in a conversation if he/she/they know anything about local job openings that are relevant to the class you are in. Chances are, they do!

💸💸💸

3) The Usual

Some other jobs that many teenagers do are:

● Babysitting! This can be your neighbors' younger siblings/children, or your parent's co-worker's children. Or, simply put up some flyers in your local library, supermarkets, and your communities. Of course, check in and confirm with a librarian, manager, or the city before you put up some flyers, just to make sure it's allowed.

● Fast food restaurants. Before I had said that it is not your only option, and that is true! However, if you are unable to get a different job, working at a restaurant is always available, because they tend to be hiring a lot, especially as the holidays come around. Some places you can work at are:

        - McDonalds
        - Taco Time
        - Taco Bell
        - Burger King
        - Wendy's

Any other places you guys can think of? Comment here!

💸💸💸

● Pet-sitting! This is a little less common, but if you think about it, you could earn substantial money in this! Of course, if you still live with your parents, and many of us do, you should probably check in with them about pet sitting, just to make sure they are on the same page as you. Some people you could work for are:

- Your neighbor's pet(s)
- Your parent's friend's pet(s)
- Your teacher's pet(s)

You could also put flyers around the community, but be careful about that, because you don't know exactly how friendly a stranger's pet could be. I would recommend sticking to the three listed above, just for the safety of you and the pet.

💸💸💸

And that's about it for now! I hope this gave you a better insight on the plethora of jobs out there in the world. Now, I live in the US, so some places that I listed may not be in your area, such as Wendy's, Taco Time, or Kumon. But, there are always alternatives to whatever country to live in, and the same basic principles apply!

Having a part time job can really help for college, and I hope this will give you some reassurance for the future.

Later on I'll be posting a short chapter on resumes, if you've never written one before, and I'll be referring to this post.

Anyway, comment here about any places I may have missed where you can work. And, now I am wondering.. is Kumon even international..? Hm..

Well, that's it for now!

~ Kay (@feline_believer)