☼ Chapter XI ☼

picture; Nora Preudova

song; "Hollow" by Cloudeater

author's note; This literally took me like one night to write the first two parts of the chapter, and I procrastinated writing the ending for weeks. I knew it was gonna be draining because it was a new scene I had to rewrite since I lost the original document of it, but it is finally done.

Comment + Vote, enjoy!

_____________________________________________________

Quiet. It seems peculiar now how the absolute lack of noise had begun to suffocate me, instead of console me. A part of me had never been partial to silence; the loneliness of it threatened to drown me, especially after my parents' divorce.

Our home used to be warm and full, brimming with joyous laughter, but it soon dulled to grief—grief born from the knowledge that our father feared us so much he chose to abandon us.

These moments I hated the quiet more than I hated myself then, and even now more than I hated Rene.

This emptiness pulsated over me, and I felt my cheeks grow warm. I felt embarrassed. Or maybe it was actually that I felt pathetic. I hadn't felt so self-deprecating in such a long time.

The fact that I was being followed by Darkness was hard to swallow.

I was trying to find my balance again after hearing the news. Everyone had left the room to give me a moment to collect myself after I freaked out and nearly had a panic attack.

Only one person was left in the room beside me.

Derik was being incredibly patient, and I hadn't said a word, just stared down at my burgundy painted toes. The wine color really complimented my brown skin.

Meredith had told me from a young age that reds and burgundies were my color, but I always had been much more into black and Navy blues—similar to the Navy blue Derik's eyes often shifted to.

The memory of my mom caused the slightest tugging of my lips upwards and I suddenly realized that I had somehow finally regained my composure. "Sonya?" When I lifted my gaze to connect to his, I saw that Derik's face was questioning and still quite stern.

The hardness of his expression caused an uncontrollable giggling to bubble up my throat and overflow passed my lips. "Are... you okay?"

"I... for now." I had almost said that I wasn't sure, but I decided that I actually was okay. Even though I had been attacked, I wasn't really hurt at all. I was honestly just scared, but Genevieve knew now and she would protect me. And so would Lorelai and Derik.

I trusted that they wouldn't let anything happen to me, and I also knew for damn sure the Elders weren't going to let anything happen to me either.

Derik copied my actions as I rose to my feet; I paused to look at him again. He was staring right at me, and even though his expression looked apologetic and sincere, the ticking of his jaw revealed something was bothering him. "Sonya," My name was spoken on a deep sigh and Derik cut his eyes away to the floor.

"I'm sorry about everything." He said after a few moments of more quiet, giving me those cerulean pools once again. "I'm sorry about what I said about your parents and about my attitude earlier. It wasn't right, none of it. Just... please don't be angry with me anymore.

"When I felt you panicking last night, I was going to come again, but it came and went so fast that I figured that you were fine, and you wouldn't want to see me anyway. And I'm also sorry I told Genevieve you were attacked but, honestly, then again I'm not. I'll do anything to keep you safe, Sonya." Derik grasped onto my shoulders as he looked me squarely in the face.