☼ Chapter XXV ☼

picture; Ankiel Ylisove

song; "Killer" by Valerie Broussard 

author's note; I decided to update this a little late because even though the chapter was done already, I wanted to add some more because it was short with not much happening. I may stop splitting chapters because of that. I want readers to get the full experience of a chapter, even if it is a bit on the long side. 

Once the story is done, I'm going to go back and edit as well. I've come to the realization that this story would be better in 3rd person, so I'm going to write it that way, but the story will still follow Sonya as the main protagonist. 

Anyway, the next chapter is going to be a huge turning point in our story, both for the story in general and for Sonya's character. Get ready.

Comment + Vote, enjoy!

____________________________________________________

The scent of bacon kissed my senses, and my eyes opened so I could stare blankly at the ceiling. I'd had a dreamless sleep all day, most likely because I was beside my Mate, but I still woke up tired. I was supposed to have a Gifts & Powers lesson in a couple hours, but I didn't have the energy to go.

Slowly, I sat up and looked around Derik's dimly lit bedroom. My back ached slightly under the weight of my stress, and I squeezed my eyes against the pain, pulling my legs up to my chest and wrapping my arms around them. My chin settled onto the top of my knees and I focused on the sound of my breaths.

I wanted to cry again, but I hated crying so much because it always gave me a headache and made my anxiety worse. So I cling to the scent of the bacon, to the sound of my slow breaths, and to the feeling of rightness I felt being in my Mate's home.

Fingers slid over my cheeks and wiped at a few runaway tears before gently grasping onto one of my curls, extending it, then letting it spring back into its original coily shape. My gaze bounded up to his cerulean one, and I could see he was holding a ceramic plate, piled with waffles, bacon, and eggs.

"You should eat." He told me, offering the food. I took it, but didn't make any attempt to eat any. Setting the plate aside on the nightstand, I watched Derik sit down on the bed, his presence filling me with warmth and comfort.

"I know." I sighed, and slowly I started to pick at the eggs on the plate. "I'm sorry you got stuck with a Mate like me." Derik was taken aback by my words, and even though his face didn't show it, I could feel his shock through the bond.

"Sonya," He grasped at my face and made me look into his eyes. The fear was daring to eat me alive. "You are perfectly made for me. I love you, and I wouldn't trade you for anything."

"Really?" I wondered pathetically, snivelling. My voice was thick with tears. I knew there was absolutely nothing attractive about how I looked, but I didn't have the mental energy left to actually care.

"Really." Derik confirmed anyway, a small smile littering his lips. "By the way, Lorelai called. She wants to come see you, so I gave her the address."

"Okay." I bit my lip, knowing that she most likely had questions for me. Lorelai was coming to check on me after last night, but I knew she was going to ask more about what happened at the farsa a few weeks ago. "I don't think I can make it to my lesson tonight. I just feel so drained."

"Genevieve came by while you were still sleeping. She's giving you the rest of the week off from classes and she's cleared my patrols for the next two days so I can be here with you. But this weekend, I'll have to get back to my Protector duties, so I'm going to take you back to your dorm. You're safer there because of the Rituals." Derik told me, squeezing my thigh and actually tickling me, but I didn't comment on it.