CHAPTER 8: THE CENTAUR'S WARNING

Jace looked sharply at me and then back at Tom, who peeled off a volley of shots with his automatic rifle, the bullets tearing into the Grey's flesh and practically ripping it apart mid-flight

'Tom?' As in your husband Tom? Evie, are you fucking kidding?'

Before I could say another word – another foolish word – Jace was pushing on the glass doors.

'Jace, what the Hell are you doing?' I cried out, my heart pumping hard in my chest, as I tried to reach out and grab him before he could go out there.

He couldn't do this. He couldn't. He thought it was Tom. He thought he was saving my husband, when all he was doing was walking right into some kind of trap. It had to be a trap. There was no other explanation. Greys didn't turn on their own. They just didn't.

I saw flashes of the alien symbol crudely carved into Rico's flesh.

The way he'd locked his gaze with mine.

He did a good job, yes?

No. I refused to believe Rico. I refused to believe any of this. Nothing here was what it seemed.

'We've got to do something!' Jace insisted. 'We've got to help them!'

He was through the doors before I could do anything else, moving quickly to the edge of the terrace. The explosion of bullets from his SA80 tore violently through the front line of Greys, spraying blood and ruptured alien flesh into the air. Spotting a new assailant, the swarm opened their mouths, their awful high-pitched insectoid scream cutting through the air.

I could never decide which of the two terrified me more: the sound of the alien throat-clicking in the silent shadows of the tube tunnels or that scream which had the power to razorblade my stomach into pieces. Listening to it here, in the beautiful gardens of Lancaster House, with the sun shining like it was a normal summers day in the city, I don't think I had ever hated it more. That sound didn't belong here, any more than they did.

Lena and Tom began to run towards Jace, and I stood frozen in horror as the Greys continued to surge out of the trees and across the gardens.

'Oh my god,' I murmured.

There were so many of them. Countless numbers of Greys streaming towards us in a great monstrous tide. More than I'd seen since the days of the Final Wave.

Moving alongside Jace, I began firing off shots at the advancing army, cutting down those that were closest. By now, Lena and Tom were at the steps. The Norwegian's face was a mask of sweat and deathly pale skin as she struggled to climb up to the terrace, limping badly. There were deep lacerations in her shoulder from which she was bleeding profusely, and I could see the blood now dropping down the back of her hand, droplets falling from her fingertips onto the bleached stone. By her side, still holding her up, Tom struggled to keep hold of Lena and as they reached the top of the steps, Jace moved to grab her as I continued to shoot into the oncoming Greys.