CHAPTER 35: GODS AND MONSTERS

Back when the Final Wave hit, Londonders had fled to the Tube tunnels in droves, remembering their use as air raid shelters during WW2, but they would soon come to realise that the Greys were a different kind of monster than that which had threate...

Back when the Final Wave hit, Londonders had fled to the Tube tunnels in droves, remembering their use as air raid shelters during WW2, but they would soon come to realise that the Greys were a different kind of monster than that which had threatened us before and their invasion was not to be restricted to the skies over London. The tunnels had become a death-trap. A grave for those who had believed the tunnels would protect them from the terrifying crafts that had descended upon the city, blotting out the sun and darkening the entire landscape.

I couldn't help but think of that now as I stood with my back against the platform edge, the heat of too many people on the tracks making it feel hard to breathe. Tom stood next to me, and for once, I was grateful for his presence, and for the brush of his elbow against mine.

Having reluctantly led Levi and his crew to the tunnel opening, the alarm had been sounded by Lenny and his son Lewis, who had been on watch duty, and soon everyone had come storming onto the platform. I'd hated seeing the look on their faces. Fear. Panic. Momentary relief at seeing Tom and I, only to have it replaced by anger and hurt, as if we had betrayed them by bringing Levi right into our base, even though he'd already done a pretty good job of finding it himself.

Levi's assurance that he'd happened to stumble upon us in the tunnels had done little to ease my guilt, but guilt appeared to be the one coat I wore so well now. I leaned in closer to Tom and loosely linked my fingers with his.

'There's some small irony in you admonishing us for trespassing in your Quadrant, Levi, and yet here you all are, trespassing in ours.' Taj stood on the platform, his hair loose for a change, clearly having been rudely disturbed from rest by Levi's arrival. 'What's stopping us from cutting you all down here?'

Levi appeared unmoved by the threat, and instead, shrugged his broad shoulders and sniffed at the air. 'You could do that, my man,' he said, his deep voice rumbling. 'However, the chances of you carrying out your threat, without losing a fair few of your own in the process, is pretty damn near slim, wouldn't you say? And, we come, not with malice or intent to do you harm, but with our arms open wide and our hearts ready to receive you all as comrades in this endless war. So, you tell me, what would you benefit from turning this place into a battleground?'

'You come fully-armed,' said Taj, 'and you expect us to believe that you didn't come here with intent to do harm?'

Levi broke into one of his wide, mad smiles. The laughter that seemed to come from deep within the confines of his huge barrel-like chest, was neither warm nor comforting and the hair prickled on the back of my neck to hear it.

'Excuse me, but the last time I checked, it's a warzone up there.' He pointed one huge thick finger up at the rounded ceiling of the tunnel. 'We are armed because our world is not our own anymore. Did you expect us to come here without means to protect ourselves from the monsters that now roam our streets?'