CHAPTER 22: KIMCHI AND CLOSE ENCOUNTERS

Travelling in the opposite direction to the Black Zone should have been a good thing; yet walking towards certain death at the hands of Levi Johnson seemed like the greater madness

The journey itself was insanity, let alone the reason why we were going in the first place. A mile of tube tunnels to Charing Cross, continuing underground to Convent Garden, then it was topside travel across town all the way to St. Paul's.

Taking the Circle and District tunnels would have been a more direct route and they would have helped us get nearer to St. Paul's before we had to resurface, but it was too close to the fractured Thames and sections of the tunnels down by Temple and Embankment were flooded. Vik had taken a small crew and ventured down recently to see if the waters had subsided at all, but he came back pale and with stories of a sea of bloated bodies floating in the darkness.

At first, I'd almost relished the idea of getting out of Aldwych. Following the meeting with Taj – a lengthy, sometimes heated discussion about the journey, the plan on how we'd tackle the confrontation with Levi and, most importantly, who would be lucky enough to get chosen for certain suicide – I'd spent the day desperately trying to force smiles, be on my best behaviour even though it was choking me and trying not to scream until I brought the ceiling down on our heads.

The Grey had irritatingly stuck by my side most of the time, and I'd had to endure it, every torturous, suffocating second of his company. What was almost worse than being close to him, was seeing the way the others were looking at him. Like he wasTom. Good ol' personable, charming Tom. The one everyone wanted to speak to. The one who pulled you in like a magnet, until you were hooked by his eyes and his smile and the calming, gentle timbre of his voice.

And then, inevitably, they'd looked at me with different eyes – eyes filled with longing and sadness and jealousy, because I had been the lucky one, right? I'd been the one to discover what I had thought was lost forever. I had been the one for whom love hadn't died when the world was destroyed.

The more I saw that look in their eyes, the more I hated myself for betraying them and the more I vowed I would do what I had promised and kill the Grey the first time I got the chance.

I was thinking just that as I trailed behind him in the tunnels just before we reached Covent Garden, staring at the back of his head, when Lena fell in step beside me. Tom was walking with Taj and Gav, with Jace and Abby and Iza ahead of them. We'd thought about bringing Lenny for some extra muscle, but as Taj had said, this mission wasn't about starting a fight and if we took Lenny – who'd had a violent bloodied run-in with one of Levi's right hand men – it might look more like provocation rather than an offer of truce.

'I forgot to thank you,' she said, keeping her voice low as we always did in the tunnels.

'What?' I glanced at her, irritated by her presence. Why couldn't she just walk with the others and leave me the Hell alone?