Chapter 17 - Maybe

Hey, Foster,

Sorry I had to leave

You know how much work I put into my weave ;)

But I had to get ready for school

Anyways, If you need to ditch,

Just let me know and I'll help you out

(Especially if you see that witch)

I hope you have a smile on your face

Whenever I see you--and you better not avoid me

But if you do, I'm down for the chase. :)

-Your Bestie <3

P.S. I'm not actually saying my hair is a weave (it's definitely all natural), I just didn't know what else to put that rhymes with leave.

Sophie definitely did have a smile on her face when she read the note. She woke up, feeling a headache come on and saw the cut on her hand had faded to a thin scar, it'll probably disappear soon.

Maybe it was the note putting her in a good mood, or just remembering how horrible her luck was to have cut her hand on a tiny little rock, but she started to laugh.

"Sophie?" Edaline called, knocking on the door before opening it. She furrowed her brows when seeing her daughter laughing. "Are you . . . all right?"

"I don't . . . think so," Sophie managed between laughs, lying down on her bed.

"Keefe filled me in last night," Edaline said before a large smile appeared on her face. "Grady and I came into your room to check up on you and we found Keefe lying next to you. You should have seen how red Grady's face got! I swear if I wasn't there, Keefe would be dead, resurrected, then dead again."

That only made Sophie laugh even more and Edaline joined her. After several, long, joyous moments, the two started to calm down.

Sophie was wiping away tears from her eyes when Edaline asked, "Are you feeling up for school?"

Sophie groaned. "Why did my gala have to be on a Thursday night?"

Edaline laughed. "You don't have to go to school if you don't want to—for today only."

Sophie smiled, leaning against Edaline who had sat down next to Sophie on her bed during their laughing fit.

"No, if I stay home then I'll keep thinking about last night," Sophie mumbled. "And I really don't want to think about it yet."

"Okay." Edaline started to rub Sophie's back. "Then you should get ready. School starts in about half an hour."

Sophie's eyes popped wide open as she jumped up and practically flew into her bathroom to get ready.

School hadn't necessarily kept Sophie's mind from trailing back to the previous night, though it did help. She did her best to avoid her friends, knowing they would ask her all about it the first chance they got and she wasn't ready to answer their questions.

Though, as soon as she sat down at her table alongside her friends, she was bombarded with questions.

"Are you okay?"

"What happened?"

"We saw that your hand was bleeding."

"What did you and Fitz talk about?"

Sophie took in a deep breath. "I'm feeling better now. I saw . . . F—Fitz and um . . . he just said sorry and left. And I accidentally cut my hand on a rock."