Music Camp (Analogical) (Fluff)

C.W: N/A

~~~

Another bus rolled into the camp. Virgil really didn't want to be there but his parents though he needed 'fresh air' and 'more friends'. Why did he need anyone else? He had Patton, his best friend and desk partner in first violins. Unfortunately, they were from different schools and entirely different cities. That might be why.

Music camp was a fortnight-long getaway where you spend six hours a day playing in an orchestra in preparation for a concert at the end of the two weeks. In their free time, they'd do outdoor activities like tag and manhunt. The food was shit and the dorms were gross but at least it was fun, right?

As the students filed out of the bus, Virgil scanned the mass of people waiting for their suitcases. As soon as Patton emerged from the crowd, he started running towards Virgil and launched himself into his arms.

"Virgil! I missed you!"

"It's only been two months."

"Still!"

Patton unravelled himself and dragged Virgil over to register. Virgil stood next to Patton but clearly out of the line as he'd already signed in.

"Patton Davis," Patton announced when he reached the front of the line. The leader gave him his dorm number and sent him on his way.

They made their way towards the dorms and they had conveniently been assigned to the same dorm. They yanked their suitcases up the stairs and picked their bunks. While everyone else swapped and begged others to move, they chatted and unpacked somewhat, making sure to hide their smuggled sweets somewhere the dorm leader wouldn't go snooping.

~~~

The first rehearsal came in the evening when everyone was settled. Patton and Virgil wandered over to the string orchestra hall. They took their rightful place at front desk, where the conductor had assigned them.

While tuning and chatting before the conductor arrived, Virgil glanced over the orchestra. The two girls at the front of the violin two section looked uncomfortable. No doubt they'd been forced there on their first time in the orchestra. The viola front desk was the same (as always). At the cello desk there was the boy who had been there last year, Roman, and a new boy.

The new guy wore wide frame glasses and was dressed way too formally for an outdoor camp. Why he was wearing a tie, Virgil would never know, but he suited it. A little too much.

He nudged Patton and nodded over to to boy, a little starstruck. Patton glanced over and chuckled. "That's Logan."

"Who?"

"Logan Miller. He's from mine and Roman's school. He's in the same year as us."

Virgil stared on at Logan, half registering what Patton was saying.

"And he's gay."

Virgil turned to see a smirk sneaking onto Patton's face. Virgil bit his lip and opted to stare at the music stand. "Why doesn't he come to orchestra?"

As well as this yearly camp, the orchestra has weekly rehearsals for two hours at a time. Most kids from that orchestra come to the camp, but the camp is open to anyone who may want to come.

"He says he's too busy, but he's so smart that he could miss a whole year of school and still get A's in every subject."

Virgil felt something stirring in his stomach. He hadn't had a crush in ages and he knew he didn't get them this easily. Logan was no exception.

Fortunately, the conductor came in and they had to start the rehearsal. Virgil, however, was unfairly distracted the whole time.

~~~

By the end of the first week, Virgil's crush was in full bloom and even a simple glance at Logan would send butterflies swarming in his stomach. It was during their free time that Virgil told Patton.

"I think I like Logan."

"Yes!" Patton hopped out of his bunk, alarming Virgil, and pulled him up from his bunk. He was pulled out of the door and to the door of a dorm a few down from theirs. Patton knocked on the door and hearing a 'come in!' from inside, he dragged Virgil inside. Patton sat down on one of the beds next to none other than Logan himself.

"Virgil, this is Logan. Logan, Virgil."

"It's lovely to meet you," Logan said, nodding at Virgil.

Virgil just chuckled and felt his cheeks heat up. He didn't trust himself to say anything so he stayed silent as Patton started chatting to Logan, and then Roman when he came back from rehearsals.

Virgil stood in the corner awkwardly the entire time, not knowing if he should sit down or leave to let Patton talk to his friends. Patton kept glancing at him, looking thoughtful, but Virgil brushed it off. However, he randomly jumped up and on his way out the room called out that he was "going to the toilet. 

"You two should talk!"

Moments later their heard the front door close. Virgil made a mental note to kill Patton as soon as he escaped.

"So, you play violin, right?"

Virgil looked over at Logan, who was smiling at him invitingly. He shrank away and looked at the ground, hoping Logan couldn't see how red his cheeks were. "Yeah, first desk," he muttered.

"You're good. I could hear you and you sound like you know what you're doing."

That didn't help Virgil's blush in the slightest. "Thanks. You're good too."

Logan might've gone to say something else, but Virgil continued. "You make playing cello look so interesting. Not that cellos aren't interesting. It's just that you put passion into it. You genuinely look like you want to be there and you're so confident."

It was at that point that Virgil realised what he was doing and his head shot up to look at Logan. He looked stunned, his face bright red to match Virgil's own. Virgil cursed himself and headed for the door.

"Sorry, I'll go."

"Please don't."

The voice was prominent in Virgil's head, cutting through his racing thoughts like a hot knife through butter. He stopped in his tracks and turned back around. Logan had a similar expression as the one before, but more composed.

"Please stay. That was the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me."

Virgil nodded. "You're welcome, I guess." And then he left, back to his dorm with a barely suppressed smile on his face.

~~~

Finally, the end of camp came. With the excitement of the concert the following night, the disappointment at having to leave new friends and the promise of a warm bed and good food at home, the energy was electric. Everyone sat by the bus bays, some crying, some playing music quietly, some talking. Buses filtered in one by one, taking a batch of kids then leaving the rest.

Patton was close to tears. "We'll see each other at the concert," Virgil said so many times, but he'd still spent more time locked in Patton's arms than actually packing.

Roman and Logan left them to it, but their bus soon came. Patton hugged Virgil again and slowly dragged his suitcase away to be loaded into the bus. Roman gave him a small wave and wandered after Patton.

Logan followed behind Roman barely acknowledging Virgil aside from a small nod. Virgil wasn't having that though. In an impulsive decision fuelled by a random burst of confidence, he strode forward towards Logan. He reached around to grab the front of Logan's shirt and yanked him around to face him. Before Logan could say anything, Virgil pulled him into a firm kiss.

Fortunately, Logan kissed back and Virgil felt fireworks erupt in his stomach. Logan was also the first to pull away though, offering Virgil a small smile.

"I need to go, but I'll see you tomorrow."

Virgil smiled and nodded. "Yeah. See you tomorrow."

Virgil watched Logan walk away with a strong blush on his face. Finally, he had a reason to look forward to the next camp.

~~~

Hnggg the pacing is so bad. 

16th November 2019