Freckles (Logicality)(Fluff)

C.W. N/A

~~~

Logan pulled up in his driveway. He was exhausted after work and it didn't help that it was past midnight. He haphazardly made his way up to the door, fumbling with his keys and almost falling through the door.

The downstairs hallway light had been left on but all of the doors were closed. Patton never wanted Logan to come home to a dark house so he always left a light on if he went to bed. Logan appreciated the sentiment but he was too tired to fully register it so he kicked off his shoes and shrugged off his coat, switching off the light as he trudged up the stairs to bed.

Patton was sound asleep when he walked in. He'd left his bedside lamp on and his book was strewn on the floor, presumably knocked off as Patton shifted in his sleep. Logan turned the light off and grabbed his pyjamas, going into the bathroom to get changed so he didn't wake his husband.

He crept out of the bathroom to find Patton stirring. Logan made his way over and slipped under the covers. He cupped Patton's cheek in one hand, gently running his thumb over it.

"It's me, Love."

Patton smiled and opened his eyes. "Hi, Lo. Did you have a nice day?" His voice was thick with sleep and his words slurred together slightly.

"Yes. Tiring, but good. Go back to sleep, Patton."

Patton hummed and settled back down. Logan moved his hand away but Patton grabbed it and put it back. Logan went back to stroking his cheek with his thumb and laid down. He watched Patton's face relax and his mouth fall open to let small snores rumble out.

Logan sighed. He was so in love with Patton that the thought that he ever wasn't scared him. Not to mention the year after they met when Logan refused to acknowledge his feelings for him. If Patton hadn't confessed his to having a crush on him, they probably wouldn't be here right now, together.

He looked at each of the freckles speckled across Patton's face. He remembered watching him chat to their mutual friend Roman, enraptured at how well the freckles fit into each spot they took up. He'd never found the few freckles he had himself to be particularly appealing but Patton made them look beautiful.

On their fifth date, Patton stayed over at Logan's apartment. At barely 11 o'clock, they found themselves dozing off while cuddled up together on the sofa, a movie playing in the background for ambient noise. Patton propped himself up on Logan's chest and pulled a pen out of his pocket. He laid back down and held Logan's arm, pulling the lid off the pen.

Logan had always had a strange cluster of freckles on his right forearm. There were only 12 but he barely had any other freckles. Patton took it upon himself to start joining up the freckles like a dot-to-dot puzzle. Logan watched, mesmerised by the careful lines appearing on his skin. He would have stopped anyone else, claiming drawing on his arm would cause ink poisoning or make him look unprofessional. But as Patton stuck his tongue out to concentrate, Logan found himself unable to tear his eyes away.

Patton put the cap back on the pen when he finished and threw it roughly in the direction of the table. He settled back down and nuzzled into Logan's chest. Logan brought his arm up to admire Patton's work. He hadn't made a distinct shape like a triangle or a square, but a jagged, uneven block that looked like the drawing of a toddler. At the same time, though, Patton had put so much work into it. Patton saw his insignificant blemishes as something beautiful for art to be made out of.

"Why did you draw on me?" Logan asked, still entranced.

He felt Patton startle. "Uh- sorry. I just thought it would be cool."

Logan sat up, causing Patton to copy him. He grabbed the pen and pulled Patton into his lap. He held his chin and connected five of the freckles by his jaw. They didn't join up so they looked more like a constellation.

Patton giggled, prompting Logan to draw more. He slowly moved up Patton's face, joining no more than 10 freckles at a time and making Zodiac constellations where he could. Patton grinned the whole time, giving Logan a hard time when he tried to connect freckles that got lost in his dimples. He managed to fit the capricornus constellation across the bridge of his nose.

Once every freckle was connected to another, Logan was satisfied. He had found it oddly relaxing. Patton seemed pleased as well, admiring the patterns with his phone camera. It was only the next morning that Patton realised he would have to go to work with constellations all over his face.

Logan found that a smile had crept onto his face. He connected up Patton's freckles many more times after that. In fact, he could almost see the patterns forming without him even drawing anything.

He carefully took his hand off Patton's cheek and took the pen from his bedside table. He connected his freckles just like Patton had done on their date. It was the same shape; Logan could never forget it, even five years later. He felt tears come to his eyes. He looked over at his sleeping husband and wondered if he knew just how much he meant to him.

Logan laid back down and Patton immediately curled into him. Logan wrapped his arms around him, pulling him closer. He pressed a light kiss to the top of Patton's head, careful not to wake him. Patton was his star.

~~~

8th March 2020